Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Rosneath_Castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle1873 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-4.jpg
Larchfield class1869 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Mrs Simpson. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-3.jpg
Larchfield class1866 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Miss Buchanan. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay1865 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Old_swimming_pool0898.jpg
Outdoor Pond1863 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor swimming pool with buses parked outside and West Clyde Street beyond. Date unknown.
donkeys.jpg
Donkey Rides1856 viewsUndated, but possibly the 1960s. Can anyone provide a date?
This image is watermarked.
1972-Rhu-Amateurs019.jpg
Rhu Amateurs 19721852 viewsThis picture of the Rhu Amateurs 1967 Scottish Amateur Cup-winning team was taken at New Year 1972, when they lined up against a Rhu Select at Ardenconnel Park. Standing: Billy Goodall, Alistair Glendye, unknown, Finlay MacDonald, Jim Shields, Finlay Colquhoun, unknown; front: unknown, Joe McKell, unknown, unknown, unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1844 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1829 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House1827 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1811 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
New_Year_Swim1.jpg
New Year Swim 19661809 viewsBy tradition, girls were the first to enter the water at Helensburgh pier. The first man in was Helensburgh Swimming Club president Angus Trail, his 38th Ne'erday plunge. This was the first year that certificates were presented to the participants. Designed by local artist Gregor Ian Smith, they bore the proud inscription 'Many are cauld but few are frozen'.
1952 files on 163 page(s) 9