Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
cairndhu_05.jpg
Cairndhu front door1605 viewsThe decorated front door of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
1958-Larchfield-w.jpg
Larchfield School Form 4A 19581604 viewsBack row (from right): Colin Wearmouth, Graham Carver, John Blackie, Colin Service, John Grieve, Paul Robertson, Timothy Scott; front: John Wright, William Stewart Robertson, Michael Henderson, Mrs Simpson, Geoffrey Bamford, David Young, Kenneth Henderson.
Lucy_Ashton_Kilcreggan_1942.jpg
Wartime colours1603 viewsA 1942 image of the steamer Lucy Ashton arriving at Kilcreggan Pier. The 271-ton vessel was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars. She made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Morar_House.jpg
Morar House1601 viewsThe sadly neglected Morar House, which for some years was renamed Drumadoon, at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, opposite the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House. It was built by William Leiper in 1903, a year after Hill House, for the McAlpine family who owned a shipping firm, and was later the home of the Hogarth shipping family. For some years it was a nursing home, but has been unoccupied since then and is rapidly deteriorating. Photo by Stewart Noble.
1932-4_ladies_group1.jpg
Evening Out1594 viewsA group of Helensburgh ladies enjoy an evening out, circa 1933.
Helensburgh-Central-19792.jpg
Helensburgh Central Station1593 viewsA fairly modern view of the Central Station in East Princes Street, taken on September 20 1979.
Camis_Eskan_garden-2.jpg
Camis Eskan Market Garden1589 viewsPart of the gardens at Camis Eskan during World War Two. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
Badminton-winner5271.jpg
Badminton champions1586 viewsHelensburgh and District Badminton Championships winners Frank Smith and Sheila Campbell receive their trophies from Mrs Rosina Williamson, wife of Provost J.McLeod Williamson, circa 1970.
Rugby_Club_20th.jpg
20 years of Helensburgh rugby1585 viewsThe top table party at a dinner held at Helensburgh Rugby Club at Ardencaple on November 19 1983 to mark 20 years of the town's rugby team. From left are founder captain Fergus Howat, past secretary Douglas Dow, guest of honour Gordon Brown of West of Scotland, Scotland and the British Lions and known as 'Broon frae Troon', founder secretary Donald Fullarton, Helensburgh Cricket and Rugby Club past president Fraser Nicol, and past captain the Rev Russell Davidson.
West_seafront21614.jpg
West seafront1583 viewsLooking west from the pier, with some youngsters paddling. Date unknown.
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s1571 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1570 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
2190 files on 183 page(s) 22