| Most viewed |

834 views
|
|

Shandon Station832 viewsShandon Station on the West Highland Line, which was opened in 1894. Like all the other local upper stations except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
|
|

Cardross Free Church828 viewsThe original Free Church of Scotland in Cardross. Today there is a house called 'Kirklands' at the south side of Main Road just to the west of its junction with Bainfield Road, and the church was on the site of what is now the garage of that house. The present church building on Station Road was built in 1872 and served as the Free Church of Scotland until 1929 when the Church of Scotland and the Free Church were united. As there were now two C of S congregations the former Free Church was given the name 'Burns Church'. This was the case until after World War Two when the two congregations were united to form Cardross Parish Church in the present building.
|
|

!885 Clyde map823 viewsAn antique sketch map of the Clyde engraved by C.Perron.
|
|

TS Empress821 viewsA 1915 image of the raining ship Empress moored in the Gareloch, with its tender beyond. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
|
|

Suffragette poster821 viewsWhat appears to be a home-made poster about a visit to Helensburgh by suffragette campaigner Adela Pankhurst, possibly on July 29 1909. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
|
|

Passion for chess813 viewsBonar Law was a great chess enthusiast, and was a highly rated player. He is pictured here at the London International Chess Congress in July and August of 1922 with the Mayor of Westminster, a few weeks before he became Prime Minister. The players were José Raúl Capablanca y Graupera, world champion in 1922, (left) and Machgielis Euwe. known to all as Max. Photo by courtesy of the Chess Scotland History Archive at www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm.
|
|

Planting season813 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows planting on Duirlands Farm, Glen Fruin. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
|
|

Mystery House811 viewsA July 1905 image which shows Mrs Smith and her dog Top outside their house, possibly at Portincaple. More information welcome.
|
|

1944 Hermitage 4th Year girls811 viewsBack row from left, Macdonald, Morrison, Ewing, Crnish, Grant, McKinlay, Gall; third row, Arnott, ?, McKay, Ronald, Spy, McKay, McGuire. Macalpine, second row, ?, ?, Barr, ?, ?, McCaw, Crearand, Jane, Macdonald, front row, Cowan, Hughie, Anton, McKellar, Robertson, Marshall, McGruer. Missing, corrected and first names would be welcomed. Image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
|
|

Tamnavoulin Hotel!808 viewsAn embellished 1905 image of Tamnavoulin in Glen Fruin. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century.
|
|

Helensburgh Golf Club807 viewsA view of the clubhouse, circa 1944. The club was founded in 1893, with a nine hole course designed by former Open champion 'Old' Tom Morris. This second clubhouse was opened in 1900, and five years later the course was upgraded to 18 holes.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
170 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|