Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Glenmallon-2.jpg
Glenmallon School1808 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Outdoor-pool.jpg
Outdoor pool1803 viewsA busy day at Helensburgh's outdoor swimming pool beside the pier. This photo, from a family album, was supplied by Donald Watson. Image date unknown.
Inverclyde,_Cove.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1794 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Loch_Lomond_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Loch Lomond Youth Hostel1786 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1784 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress1776 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
pool_1930s18.jpg
Taking the plunge1752 viewsFour young swimmers jump into the Helensburgh outdoor pool in the 1930s.
whistlefield_station.jpg
Whistlefield Station1743 viewsA photograph of the North British Railway station at Whistlefield, probably from the late 1920’s or early 1930’s. Note the advertisement for Tennents.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1735 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School1727 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1720 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
William-St-shelter044.jpg
The William Street shelter1716 viewsLooking east along West Clyde Street, with the now demolished William Street shelter on the right and two horse-drawn carriages on the road. Image circa 1915.
2024 files on 169 page(s) 11