Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House1866 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Larchfield-1-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581853 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1847 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Rosneath_Castle29711.jpg
Rosneath Castle1830 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1905.
Clyde_Street_Primary_c_1964.jpg
Clyde Street School 1829 viewsA Clyde Street Primary School class, circa 1964. Back row: Ronald Park, Kenneth Glendye, Jim Urquhart, Duncan Campbell, William Bell, Neil Harper, Edward McKell, John Spy, ?; middle: Susan Taylor, Jacqueline Craig, Helen McWilliams, Mary Ross, Lesley ?, Lesley Coll, Fiona Grant, Elspeth Robertson, Kathleen Hamilton; front sitting: Royston Pearce, ?, Janet Shields, ?, Terry ?, ?, Catherine ?, Elizabeth Stewart, Billy McKechnie; on floor: ?, Simon Fraser, ?, George Beggs. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Clyde_Street_Primary_c_1962.jpg
Clyde Street School1826 viewsA Clyde Street Primary School class, circa 1962. Back row: ?, Royston Pearce, George Beggs, Peter Elliot, John Spy, ?, ?,
Edward McKell, Ronald Park, Billy McKechnie, ?, Harry Stenhouse; middle: Elizabeth Stewart, ?, Lesley Coll, Roderick McKenzie, William Bell, Kenneth Glendye, Neil Harper, ?, Duncan Campbell, Jim Urquhart, Simon Fraser, Colin Reid, Caroline ?; front: Janet Shields, Kathleen Hamilton, Terry ?, Fiona Grant, Helen McWilliams, Hazel Towler, Mary Ross, Susan Taylor, Anne-Marie ?, Elspeth Robertson, Catherine ?. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Cairndhu_Hotel.jpg
Cairndhu1822 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
Glenmallon-1.jpg
Glenmallon School1822 viewsPupils of Glenmallon School on Loch Longside travelled to Helensburgh for this 1940 class photograph. Back row: Agnes ?, Alison Craig, Ernest ?, Rita Beattie, Rosemary Cameron, Rae Bolton (kilt); middle row: Sheila Anton, Peter McKichen, Betty Bowie, Miss Ferguson, Elspeth ? On ground: Jean Stone and Jimmy Beattie. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Rhu-Amateurs-19664108.jpg
Rhu Amateurs1821 viewsThe Rhu Amateurs team and officials Ian McKay, Donny Thomson and Richard Don in August 1966. Captain Finlay Colquhoun is front row centre, with Joe McKell on his right. The back row includes Alistair Glendye, Billy Goodall, keeper Finlay MacDonald, and Jim Shields.
Hermitage-stones-w.jpg
Hermitage carvings1821 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
1928-Camis-Eskan-engraving1.jpg
Camis Eskan1818 viewsA 1928 engraving by J.Westley of a drawing by J.R.Neale of Camis Eskan House.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition1812 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
2024 files on 169 page(s) 10