Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

Most viewed - Religion
Dumbarton-Presbytery-19671.jpg
Moderator's visit907 viewsThe Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, the Very Rev Dr Roy Sanderson, was in Helensburgh in September 1967 as part of a visit to Dumbarton Presbytery. This picture at the Queen's Hotel shows (standing) the Rev Jack Dutch of Old and St Andrew's, the Rev Andrew Scobie of Cardross, the Rev Dr George Logan of Park, the Rev Merricks Arnott of Rosneath, the Rev J.Murray of Garelochhead; (front) the Rev L.A.Ritchie of St Columba, the Rev Robert Cairns of St Bride's, Dr Sanderson, and the Rev Dr T.Crouther Gordon of Helensburgh.
West_Kirk_choir1723.jpg
West Kirk Choir875 viewsOrganist and choirmaster Walter Blair is pictured with the choir of the then Helensburgh West Kirk — now Helensburgh Parish Church — on the occasion of the rededication of the church organ in May 1968.
Annie-Baird5081~2.jpg
St Bride's Centenary843 viewsMiss Annie Baird, then 83, sister of John Logie Baird and daughter of the Rev John Baird, is greeted by the St Bride's Church minister, the Rev Robert S.Cairns, who invited her to cut the cake at the Church's Centenary Supper in the Victoria Hall in 1967. In the background is Mrs Arthur Wylie, one of the organisers of the event.
West_United_Free_Church.jpg
West United Free Church824 viewsA 1914 photo by well known professional photographer John Stuart, of Thistlebank, Helensburgh, and Glasgow, of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square, later St Andrew's Church, then Old and St Andrew's Church, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Built in 1845, it remained in the Free Church tradition until 1929 when it became a Church of Scotland congregation. The William Leiper-designed front porch was added in 1892, and the building survived a disastrous fire in 1924 which left only the walls standing.
Remembrance-1968-w.jpg
Remembrance Day 1968814 viewsThe official party at the 1968 Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. In front are the Commodore Clyde and Provost J.McLeod Williamson. In the row behind are Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Councillor Norman Glen, Bailie John Langan, Bailie Mrs Jae Gardiner, and Councillor Ian Johnston.
St-Bride_s-Church-group-photo-w.jpg
St Bride's Church Kirk Session808 viewsThis image, supplied by Mary Greenwell, is thought to be of the Kirk Session of St Bride's Church at a Session Dinner in the Queen's Hotel, set up by J.Arnold Fleming as a social evening for Session members, circa 1962. Back row: Peter Slater, Jackie McKenzie, Tom Aitken, Charles Swain, David Watson, William Williamson; middle: Walter Johnson, John Allan, Malcolm Osborne, Ian Maclachlan, George Gardiner, George Christie, Hugh Hogarth, Douglas Robertson, Stanley Mill, Alasdair MacDougall; front: Jimmy White, Max Wilkinson, Norman Watt, George Speirs, the Rev Robert S.Cairns, George Primrose, Mr McColl, Ian Balfour, W.B.Gardner Henderson.
Ministers-Fraternal.jpg
Ministers Fraternal774 viewsMembers of Helensburgh and District Ministers Fraternal pictured at a Christian Unity evening service in St Columba Church, Helensburgh, in January 1972. The morning service that day had been a rededication of the church, back in use after being closed for six months for dry rot repairs. From left: the Rev Dr T.Crowther Gordon, the Rev Robert Cairns, the Rev Merricks Arnott, the Rev A.Douglas Stirling, the Rev Alan Johnston, the Rev Lindsay Parkinson, the Rev Tom Gordon, St Columba minister the Rev Andrew Mitchell, the Rev Dr George R.Logan, unknown.
St_Michael_and_All_Angels_choir_1950s.jpg
St Michael's Choir772 viewsThe choir of Helensburgh's St Michael's and All Angels Church, circa 1950. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
St-Bride_s-Church4064.jpg
St Bride's Church771 viewsOriginally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church at the corner of John Street and West King Street was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
Luss_Church_window5.jpg
Luss Parish Church Window764 viewsA Colquhoun memorial window.
Finnart_picnic.jpg
Sunday School picnic762 viewsAdults and children attend a Sunday School picnic at Finnart House on Loch Longside, circa 1932. It was then the home of Dr Harry Miller, a past Moderator of the Church of Scotland, who is in the back row to the right. One of his five daughters is next to him. In the row of ladies in front of the back row, 6th from left is Jean Bolton and 8th from left is Mary Rae. Image from the collection of Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
General_Booth9.jpg
General Booth740 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrives at Helensburgh pier prior to speaking at the Victoria Hall in November 1910, and is greeted by Provost Sam Bryden. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.
82 files on 7 page(s) 1