Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 117 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 69 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 62 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 85 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 119 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 61 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 59 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 55 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 92 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 82 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 66 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 117 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 106 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 92 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 60 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 73 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 77 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 90 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 84 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 66 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 92 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 82 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Garelochhead-Station13.jpg
Garelochhead Station1050 viewsGarelochhead Station on the West Highland Line. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Rhu_1902_312.jpg
Rhu Bay575 viewsA 1902 image of Rhu Bay with the village beyond.
Jack_Buchanan,_Martine_Carol.JPG
Jack Buchanan and Martine Carol644 viewsHelensburgh-born film and stage star Jack Buchanan is seen with Martine Carol in the 1955 Preston Sturges comedy film “The French They Are A Funny Race”, based on the bestseller “The Notebooks of Major Thompson” by Pierre Daninos. Jack played Major Thompson in this spoof on the personality traits of the French.
eastbay~0.jpg
The East Bay832 viewsLooking towards Craigendoran
Helensburgh-from-pier-w.jpg
Burgh from pier720 viewsA 1959 image looking down the pier towards the town centre.
Miller_butcher_van.jpg
Mobile butcher740 viewsThis 1960s image shows the van used by Garelochhead butcher James Miller to trade around the district. Image supplied by Winnie Bolton Miller.
West-End-United1.jpg
West End United 19651497 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. In January 1965 picture by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie are (back) Mr Shields, W.Ross, J.Moffat, A.Dennett (capt), T.Griffiths, J.Smith, J.Cameron, (front) K.Johansson, j.Healey, J.Mackay, J.Scullion, B.Johnston.
Comet-wheel-in-park.jpg
The Comet Wheel826 viewsAn old picture of the wheel from Henry Bell's Comet steamship and anvil when they were situated near the west entrance to Hermitage Park. In 2002, the year of the burgh's bicentenary, the wheel was repositioned on the East Bay. Image date unknown.

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront193 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse246 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit109 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed68 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque80 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh98 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer74 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone80 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019