Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Most viewed - Military
Royal_Yacht0795.jpg
Royal Yacht1173 viewsThe Royal Yacht Britannia berthed at the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane for a visit by the Queen Mother in May 1968.
Gregory_Peck0725.jpg
Star Guest1150 viewsFilm star Gregory Peck chats to two ratings on a visit to the Faslane Polaris submarine HMS Repulse. Date unknown.
Sir-Ian-McGeoch.jpg
Vice-Admiral Sir Ian McGeoch1145 viewsHELENSBURGH man Vice-Admiral Sir Ian McGeoch, who died on August 12 2007 at the age of 93, is reputed to have played a major part in the choice of Faslane as the home of Britain’s Polaris submarine fleet. But the World War Two hero was best known as a submarine ace and a serial escaper after being captured by the Germans in the Mediterranean in 1943.
Clyde_convoy.jpg
Last convoy1144 viewsThe last convoy of World War Two gathers in the Clyde off Gourock. This famous image was taken by outstanding Greenock photographer James Hall. Image date unknown.
Commodore_Kent0322.jpg
First Commodore Leaves1130 viewsThe first Commodore Clyde, Derek Kent, and his wife leave the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane at the end of his tour of duty. He was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Flag Officer Malta.
Hermitage_hospital2.jpg
Hermitage Hospital1120 viewsNurses and servicemen pictured in June 1915 outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Gareloch-battleships-w.jpg
Gareloch battleships1108 viewsTwo battleships are seen laid up in the Gareloch. Three King George battleships were laid up in the loch, and the vessel broadside in the image is one of them and the one bow facing could be another. The three were King George V, Anson and the John Brown's-built Duke of York. Anson was towed to the Gareloch in 1951, purchased by Shipbreaking Industries at Faslane on December 17 1957 and subsequently scrapped. Duke of York was moved to the Gareloch in November 1951 and scrapped at Faslane from May 1957. King George V also came to the Gareloch and in 1958 was moved to the ship breaking firm of Arnott Young and Co. in Dalmuir. These facts date the image, supplied by Brian Cook, to between 1951 and 1957.
Tea_stall5.jpg
Wartime Cuppa1101 viewsCustomers at a tea van run by the Women's Volunteer Service outside the council offices in Helensburgh in 1942. The following year the WVS (later the WRVS), founded in 1938, began the first meals on wheels service.
Faslane_construction.jpg
Faslane base construction1101 viewsWork in progress on construction of the shiplift and finger jetty for servicing nuclear submarines at the north end of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane. Work began in 1987 and was completed in 1993. Image, circa 1988, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Lady_Commodore1.jpg
First Lady Commodore1093 viewsCarolyn Stait, the first lady to serve as Commodore Clyde at the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane, is pictured with Princess Anne. Commodore Stait retired in October 2007 after two years in post, and made her home in Helensburgh.
Portkil_Boys_19161073.jpg
The Portkil Boys1089 viewsWorld War One soldiers at Portkil, Kilcreggan, on April 20 1916. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Rosneath-naval-base-1.jpg
US Navy Base, Rosneath1089 viewsA view of the United States Navy Base at Rosneath from 1941-45.
95 files on 8 page(s) 2