Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Shops

Most viewed - Shops
Sinclair-Street049_18-02-17.jpg
Sinclair Street shops1765 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths1664 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Woolworth-Drayton-1.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-11448 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff outside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
Maclachlans5.jpg
L.MacLachlan & Son Tea Room1421 viewsEstablished in 1798, this firm of family bakers and confectioners had premises at 23 West Clyde Street, Quay Head, Helensburgh (above), and also at Roslyn Place, Garelochhead. They also catered for picnic parties. Image circa 1910.
Kerr_furniture4.jpg
Thomas H.Kerr Furniture1370 viewsThe 19 James Street premises of Thomas H.Kerr, Dealer in Modern and Antique Furniture, Cabinet-maker, Upholsterer and Removal Contractor. Image circa 1910.
Woolworth-Drayton-2.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-21328 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff inside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
Early_Woolworths.jpg
Early Woolworths1268 viewsA 1936 view of West Clyde Street showing the F.W.Woolworth 3d and 6d Stores branch which closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration, and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Shandon_Shop1087.jpg
Shandon Shop1205 viewsBray, Shandon, on Kirk Brae, where Cooper & Co., agent for the Perth Dye Works, offered Teas etc. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Smith_Butchers7.jpg
W. & A.Smith, Butchers1203 viewsThe 93 East Clyde Street premises of Smith Butchers. They offered finest home-fed beef and mutton, lamb and veal in season. Specialities were corned beef, pickled tongues and sausages. Orders could be called for morning and evening. Image circa 1910.
Royal-Bank-exterior.jpg
Royal Bank1191 viewsThe exterior of the Royal Bank of Scotland branch in East Princes Street, next to stationers Macneur and Bryden Ltd. The picture was taken by Wilson Brothers Photographers, of Glasgow, and in front is manager John R.Dixon, circa 1936. Image supplied by Marion Gillies.
Shields_Grocery6.jpg
East End Grocery1161 viewsThe 89 East Clyde Street premises of William Shields Jnr., family grocer, provision, tea and wine merchant, who also had a branch at Dunoon. The speciality was 'Nourish Invalid Stout", and his slogan was 'Quality the True Test of Cheapness'. Image circa 1910.
Christie_Grocer1111.jpg
Christie Grocers1158 viewsThe Helensburgh grocers shop of W.G.Christie (Late W.Orme), Wholesale and Retail Butter Merchant, High Class Provision Merchant, 34 & 36 Sinclair Street. Their slogan was 'Families waited upon daily in Helensburgh and district'. Telephone No.32. Established 1861. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove. Image circa 1910.
30 files on 3 page(s) 1