Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Most viewed - Mansions
Shandon_Hydro-1045.jpg
Shandon Hydro2975 viewsView from the Gareloch of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent mansion was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
knockderrycastle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2316 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1912.
rosneath_castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle2264 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
rosneathpier.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath2212 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image is undated.
Knockderry-Castle127.jpg
Knockderry Castle2174 viewsA view of Knockderry Castle at Cove, published by MacFarlane Brothers of Cove, circa 1908. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro2144 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
bellcairn1913-2.jpg
Bellcairn House2138 viewsA Cove mansion designed by architect William Landless in 1876.
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House2122 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House2116 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House2110 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Image1-118.jpg
Rosneath Castle2099 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House2085 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
96 files on 8 page(s) 1