Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
Craigendoran2C_s-finest2C-JEANIE-DEANS-the-LNER-Clyde-paddler-launched-on-April-7th-1931-at-the-Fairfield-yard_.jpg
Jeanie launch61 viewsThe much loved LNER Clyde paddle steamer launched on April 7 1931 at the Fairfield yard at Govan. She was extensively refitted after war service, and remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Photo by courtesy of Paul Strathdee.Apr 11, 2020
Rhu-or-Shandon-pier.jpg
On the pier64 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows passengers arriving at either Rhu or Shandon pier. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.Mar 02, 2020
Steamer_at_Craigendoran-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton107 viewsThe paddle steamer Lucy Ashton berthed at Craigendoran pier. Image circa 1910.Feb 16, 2020
Lady-Clare-Red-Gauntlet-w.jpg
Steamers berthed45 viewsA 1905 image of the steamers S.S. Lady Clare and Red Gauntlet moored alonside Craigendoran Pier.Oct 21, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed144 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton104 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.Mar 13, 2019
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth446 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.Jul 26, 2018
Redgauntlet~0.jpg
Steamer then minesweeper611 viewsThe Clyde steel paddle steamer Redgauntlet, built in 1895 for the North British Steam Packet Co. at Craigendoran and launched on April 4, is pictured at the Isle of May. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, at their Clydeholm Yard, and in May 1909 passed to the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. for its Firth of Forth service. On May 4 1916 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a minesweeper and was based in Grimsby and commissioned as HMS Redgauntlet II. The following year she was bought by the Royal Navy, and two years later sold to French owners and registered in Algeria. It is believed that she was scrapped in 1934.Jan 16, 2018
On-board-Waverley-1920.jpg
1920 Waverley cruise677 viewsPassengers on board the paddle steamer Waverley on a cruise from Craigendoran in 1920. Photo by courtesy of Professor Graham Lappin's excellent pictorial website www.dalmadan.com.Jul 01, 2017
waverley-2012-w.jpg
Waverley 2012662 viewsHelensburgh photographer Brian Averell took this stunning image of the paddle steamer Waverley heading down river from the pedestrian walkway on the Erskine Bridge in July 2012, and it is reproduced here with his permission. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the first Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, and cruised the Clyde until 1973 for Caledonian-MacBrayne. In 1974 she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975. She calls regularly at Helensburgh in summer.May 13, 2016
Dandie-Dinmont-at-Hel-pier-1872-w.jpg
Dandie Dinmont952 viewsThe 197 ft iron paddle steamer Dandie Dinmont is seen berthed at Helensburgh pier in 1872. Built by A & J Inglis Ltd. at Pointhouse in Glasgow in 1866 for the Helensburgh-Ardrishaig route, but was transferred to the Forth the following year. She returned to the Clyde in 1869, but 1885 was bought by the Southsea, Ventnor, Sandown & Shanklin Steam Boat Co. After the 1900 season she was laid up, and the following year sank in Portsmouth Harbour. In 1902 she was raised and broken up in the Netherlands. Apr 28, 2016
Marmion-at-Arrochar-w.jpg
S.S. Marmion650 viewsAn early image of the Clyde paddle steamer Marmion leaving Arrochar. The 403 ton vessel was launched on May 5 1906 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, and placed on the Loch Goil and Arrochar service for the North British SP. She was requisitioned for mineweeping duty at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to the Clyde for the 1920 season, then was laid up for a redesign. She returned to service in 1926 as an all-year-round vessel, was reboilered in 1932, then again was requisitioned for war service. She was stationed at Harwich and survived the Dunkirk evacuations, but was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941. Later she was raised and scrapped.Feb 15, 2016
83 files on 7 page(s) 1