Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Last additions - Mansions
Hill-House-box-w.jpg
Hill House 'box'64 viewsAn artist's impression of a huge box being erected over the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion in Upper Colquhoun Street in 2019 so that works can take place to solve damp ingress. in a pioneering conservation programme. The box is a protective steel frame structure covered in chainmail mesh with walkways around the roof and over the house, allowing people to see the house as never before.Mar 26, 2019
Ardgare-House-w.jpg
Ardgare House76 viewsImposing Ardgare House at Shandon before the building and land was cleared to start construction of the Ardgare housing estate with its 13 homes. The castellated curved wall round the stables (top right) still exists and forms the property boundary with No.10 Ardgare. Image c.1970 supplied by Ken Glen.Mar 11, 2019
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu332 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018
Hill-House-1904-w.jpg
Hill House 1904451 viewsAn image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, shortly after construction finished in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Jul 02, 2018
Hill-House-1903-w.jpg
Hill House 1903424 viewsA 1903 image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, under construction. It was completed the following year. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.Jul 01, 2018
Cove-from-shore-w.jpg
Cove villas643 viewsVillas in Cove pictured from the sea. Image circa 1932.Feb 18, 2018
Cairndhu-House-w.jpg
Cairndhu House800 viewsCairndhu on Helensburgh seafront when it was a family home. Later it became the Cairndhu Hotel, then a nursing home for the elderly, and it is now disused. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image, date unknown, supplied by Mrs Sheila Allan.Feb 06, 2017
Hartfield-House,-Cove-w.jpg
Hartfield House814 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.Dec 20, 2016
Shandon-Hydro-demolition-w.jpg
Hydro Demolition815 viewsOriginally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.Aug 03, 2016
Cairndhu,Ferniegair-w.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair840 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image circa 1960.Mar 26, 2016
Invergare_old.jpg
Invergare, Rhu890 viewsAn old image of Invergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, which was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image date unknown.Feb 03, 2016
Longcroft-from-west-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft860 viewsThe traditional view from the west of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 26, 2015
96 files on 8 page(s) 1