Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

St-Mahew_s-Chapel-w.jpg
St Mahew's Chapel635 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.
St-Mahew_s-w.jpg
St Mahew's459 viewsThe origins of this chapel are lost in the mists of time but gravestones there have been dated to the 9th or 10th century. The earliest surviving documents which speak of a chapel at Kilmahew come from the reign of King David II (1329-70). Following the Reformation in 1560 the chapel became derelict, but from 1640 until 1846 part of it was used as the village school. In 1948 it was acquired, as part of the Kilmahew Estate, by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. Five years later work on restoration started and it began to serve again as a chapel in 1955. Today it is believed to be perhaps the oldest place of worship in the west of Scotland still being used for its original purpose. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Michaels-choir-1941-w.jpg
Choir trip570 viewsThe choir boys of Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church on a trip to Kilcreggan in 1941. Back row: Mrs Baird, ?, the Rev Charles B.Baird, ?, Robert Neil; middle: Robert Livingstone, Robert Hailstones, Tom Paterson, Roy Mackenzie, Robert Wright, Thomas Neil (Robert's brother), Robert Weir Lees; front: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. The photograph, taken by church organist James P.Whimster, was kindly supplied by Robert Hailstones.
St-Michael_s-1930_pr-w.jpg
St Michael's Church dedication of tower and bells 1930764 viewsBack: C.Sinclair Smith, P.Reece, G.H.Stanton, W.Taylor, H.Taylor, G.Rodger, J.Swankie, P.Reece Jnr., A.Reece, J.Ingram; 2nd: G.R.Stocks, G.Robertson, A.Newton, ?, G.Robertson, R.Stanton, A.Paterson, D.Stark, G.Malcolm, A.Paterson, R.Lees. Seated: Capt Watson, Dr R.Fullarton, A.Wedgwood, Canon Beard, Bishop Reid, Sir William Raeburn, organist E.W.Hardy, Provost J.F.Duncan, N.Peck, J.F.Henderson. Front: W.Breheny, P.Peacock, ?, S.Myles, J.Trimmer, A.Donnachie, J.Walker, H.Johnston, G.Horn, R.Paterson.
St-Michael_s-Church-w.jpg
St Michael's Church658 viewsThe interior of St Michael and All Angels Church in West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1909.
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church495 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Modan_s-Church5151~0.jpg
St Modan's, Rosneath691 viewsSt Modan founded a church at Rosneath in the 6th century, and died there. In 1880, a finely carved stone was dug up from the grounds of the present church. It has been dated to circa 800 A.D. and is thought to represent the tombstone of St Modan. It is preserved inside the church. The present building celebrated its centenary in 1953. In the grounds are the ruins of the previous church (1780), and the only known grave in Scotland of an African slave, Robert Story, who came to Scotland as a freed slave.
St-Modan_s-old-church-w.jpg
Old St Modan's28 viewsThe ancient Rosneath St Modan's church was taken down in 1780, with the exception of the belfry which was preserved. It was on the site of the present pre-19th century parish church which is about 100 yards east of the old cemetery, which contains the ivy-covered ruins of the 18th century place of worship which itself succeeded a pre-Reformation structure. Image date unknown.
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Rosneath475 viewsSt Modan came to Rosneath around the year 600 and founded probably one of the oldest churches in Scotland. He died around the year 700 and a gravestone preserved in the present church is probably his. Today's church, an A listed building, is the fifth, and it was opened for worship in 1853 and subsequently extended twice. Two items in the building, a Bible and the reredos, are linked to Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the 9th Duke of Argyll, who lived in Rosneath Castle.Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-peter_s-cardross-2009-1.jpg
2009 St Peter's476 viewsThe exterior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
St-peter_s-cardross-2009-2.jpg
2009 St Peter's414 viewsThe interior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
St_Michael_and_All_Angels_choir_1950s.jpg
St Michael's Choir912 viewsThe choir of Helensburgh's St Michael's and All Angels Church, circa 1950. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
88 files on 8 page(s) 6