Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Loading-mines.jpg
Loading mines1028 viewsA Vickers T Mk3 exercise mine is loaded aboard the Dutch submarine O19 in Loch Long off Arrochar during World War Two. Picture courtesy of www.dutchsubmarines.com
Loch_Long~0.jpg
Loch Long Torpedo Range994 viewsThis picture, circa 1950, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
Lomond-St-Drill-Hall-w.jpg
On parade806 viewsArgyll and Sutherlands Highlanders Territorials on parade outside the Lomond Street Drill Hall in September 1939. From left: Lachie McDonald, Jimmy Handyside, Jock McDonald. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart, Lachie's daughter/
More-territorials-w.jpg
Territorials at camp845 viewsArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Territorials from Helensburgh relaxing at a camp in the late 1930s. Lachie McDonald is second from left back row, while Jimmy Handyside is on the right in the back row. The surname of the man at the left end of the front row is believed to be MacFarlane. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart.
Patients-at-wishing-well.jpg
At the Wishing Well774 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Here some of the patients and staff are seen posing beside the Wishing Well in Hermitage Park. Image date unknown.
Pier_landing_craft.jpg
Landing Craft1063 viewsTwo Army Landing Craft moored at the pier are seen from the Henry Bell obelisk on Helensburgh seafront. They were used to supply the Benbecula Rocket Range in the Outer Hebrides, collecting supplies from Rhu Hangars, and after complaints from Helensburgh people about noise from their generators they were moved to Rhu Hangars. Image circa 1965 supplied by Marion Gillies.
Polaris_sub_Coulport.jpg
RNAD Coulport863 viewsA Polaris submarine is docked at the Royal Naval Armament Depot at Coulport on Loch Long, where missiles are loaded and unloaded. Image, circa 1990, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Portkil_Boys_19161073.jpg
The Portkil Boys1095 viewsWorld War One soldiers at Portkil, Kilcreggan, on April 20 1916. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Press-at-Faslane4087.jpg
Meet the Press1012 viewsMembers of the press visit the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on June 11 1969. Second left is Bill Heaney (County Reporter, Dumbarton), and beside him is Angela Sandeman (Helensburgh and Gareloch Times). The naval officers are Commodore Clyde Peter G.la Niece and Commander George Haynes, and between them is Gerry Fitzgerald (Fitzgerald Owens News Agency, Dumbarton). On the right is Donald Fullarton (Helensburgh Advertiser).
Press_at_Faslane_1969.jpg
Press at Faslane 1969892 viewsMembers of the press visit the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on June 11 1969. On the left is Bill Heaney (County Reporter, Dumbarton), and beside him is Gerry Fitzgerald (Fitzgerald Owens News Agency, Dumbarton). Fourth from left is Donald Fullarton (Helensburgh Advertiser), and third from right is Angela Sandeman (Helensburgh and Gareloch Times). The naval officers are Commodore Clyde Peter G.la Niece and Commander George Haynes.
Rose-family-at-Whistlefield-w.jpg
739 viewsMembers of the Rose family from Helensburgh pictured on top of an army tank believed to have been stationed near the road at Whistlefield. The photo was taken by Professor Richard Rose in September 1967, and he believes that it was removed about 10 to 15 years later. Any further information would be welcome.
Rosneath-naval-base-1.jpg
US Navy Base, Rosneath1096 viewsA view of the United States Navy Base at Rosneath from 1941-45.
98 files on 9 page(s) 7