Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Herm_Hospital_patients.jpg
Smiling patients131 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street. Image dated 1915.
HM-Naval-Base-Faslane5.jpg
The Clyde Naval Base993 viewsH.M. Naval Base Clyde, pictured from Garelochhead Army Training Camp in August 2008. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
HMS_Barham_drawing1323.jpg
Gift from Officers982 viewsA sketch gifted by officers of HMS Barham, Warspite, Resolution and Wolsey to Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club in June 1921 in gratitude for the use of the Suffolk Street courts.
HMS_Jamaica.jpg
HMS Jamaica838 viewsA June 1960 image of HMS Jamaica laid up in the Gareloch. Taken by Stewart Noble on board Tommy Wright's Gareloch yacht Catriona.
HMS_Victorious1354.jpg
HMS Victorious1053 viewsThe aircraft carrier HMS Victorious arrives at Faslane in the Gareloch. Date unknown.
Ivor-McIvor-on-motorbike-w.jpg
Trying motorbike724 viewsMembers of 162 Battery (Helensburgh), 54 Regiment Light Anti-aircraft, Royal Artillery, Territorial Army, try out a motorbike in the late 1930s, venue unknown. On the bike is Ivor McIvor. Image, date unknown, supplied by Ivor's son, Colin McIvor of Largs.
King-George-letter-w.jpg
King's letter767 viewsThis letter was a personal message following World War Two from King George to schoolchildren throughout Britain, sent on June 8 1946. This copy was donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust by Trust director Cecilia Dunlop.
K_Class_submarine.jpg
A K Class Submarine1192 viewsOne of these submarines sank in the Gareloch on January 29 1917
Lady_Commodore1.jpg
First Lady Commodore1100 viewsCarolyn Stait, the first lady to serve as Commodore Clyde at the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane, is pictured with Princess Anne. Commodore Stait retired in October 2007 after two years in post, and made her home in Helensburgh.
Landing-craft-w.jpg
Landing craft770 viewsOne of the Landing Craft which used to ply from Rhu to Benbecula is pictured moored at Helensburgh pier, while crowds on the seafront take advantage of the evening sunshine. Image circa 1973.
Leaving-station-w.jpg
Heading for camp820 viewsTerritorials of 162 Battery 54th Light Anti-Aircraft, Royal Artillery, from Helensburgh leave Helensburgh Central Station in September 1939 on route to England for training. They marched from the Drill Hall in Lomond Street to the station led by a piper. Among those in the picture are D.Kennedy, Gordon Hattle, Wug Robertson, G.Bailey, G.Nicholson, Tom Rennie, Angus McKell, Tom Rennie, Lachie McDonald, John Joseph Donnachie and Ian Lawrie. They were in France till June 21 1940, having served in Rheims protecting airfields and retreating to Marseilles where they embarked on a collier, possibly the last British ship to leave. They were taken to Gibralter. Image supplied by Lachie McDonald's daughter, Mrs Betty Stewart, who remembers seeing them march off to war.
Lerwick-flying-boat5193.jpg
Lerwick flying boat1081 viewsA Lerwick flying boat from the Second World War. These aircraft were tested and modified by the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment based at Rhu Hangars from 1939-45.
98 files on 9 page(s) 6