Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Gareloch-battleships-w.jpg
Gareloch battleships1075 viewsTwo battleships are seen laid up in the Gareloch. Three King George battleships were laid up in the loch, and the vessel broadside in the image is one of them and the one bow facing could be another. The three were King George V, Anson and the John Brown's-built Duke of York. Anson was towed to the Gareloch in 1951, purchased by Shipbreaking Industries at Faslane on December 17 1957 and subsequently scrapped. Duke of York was moved to the Gareloch in November 1951 and scrapped at Faslane from May 1957. King George V also came to the Gareloch and in 1958 was moved to the ship breaking firm of Arnott Young and Co. in Dalmuir. These facts date the image, supplied by Brian Cook, to between 1951 and 1957.
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1811 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Garelochhead_Camp8.jpg
Open Day1265 viewsMembers of the public enjoy an Open Day at Garelochhead Army Training Camp in 1973.
General-De-Gaulle-Xmas-Eve-42-w.jpg
De Gaulle at Cove933 viewsFree French leader General Charles De Gaulle, later to become President of France, visited Free French naval wounded at the World War Two Knockderry Hospital in Cove — in the requisitioned Knockderry Castle — on Christmas Eve 1942. Having arrived with his aides by taxi from Kilcreggan Pier, driven by local man Tom McNeilage, he spent an hour with the patients and distributed gifts. The Secretary of State for Scotland would have attended to welcome him, but did not have enough notice of the visit. Photo by James Hall of Greenock, which is in the Norman Burniston Collection, published by kind permission of Norman Burniston.
German-Heinkel5.jpg
A Heinkel at Rhu circa 19401288 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
Gregory_Peck0725.jpg
Star Guest1115 viewsFilm star Gregory Peck chats to two ratings on a visit to the Faslane Polaris submarine HMS Repulse. Date unknown.
HA-60-Queen-at-Faslane-w.jpg
PM in Churchill546 viewsThe Queen inspects Royal Navy personnel at the then Clyde Naval Base at Faslane in 1972. Photo by Brian Averell for the Helensburgh Advertiser.
HA-60-Thatcher-in-Churchill-w.jpg
PM in Churchill537 viewsPrime Minister Margaret Thatcher is seen visiting and meeting children at the naval married quarters estate at Churchill, Helensburgh, in 1976. Photo by Brian Averell for the Helensburgh Advertiser.
HA_Fruin_sword11.jpg
Sword found in Glen Fruin1308 viewsDate not known.
Helensburgh_Air_Cadets.jpg
Helensburgh Air Cadets936 viewsThe Helensburgh Air Cadet Squadron, circa 1930. Image supplied by Cecilia Dunlop.
Hel_Co_9th_Argylls_04_08_1914.jpg
Helensburgh Company 9th Argylls1001 viewsThe Helensburgh Company of the 9th Argylls on the march on August 4 1914, with young admirers keeping pace. This image is from a booklet entitled 'With the 9th Argylls in France and Flanders', printed and published by Macneur & Bryden Ltd. in Helensburgh and donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust in 2010.
Hermitage-choir-w.jpg
Patients choir826 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
91 files on 8 page(s) 4