Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Cheshire_Squadron_at_Hel.jpg
RAF squadron visit842 viewsA previously unpublished picture from a fighter pilot's scrapbook of members of the RAF's 610 Squadron on summer visit to Helensburgh from their base in Cheshire in 1938. They have donned tartan berets, much to the amusement of local children. The following year war broke out and two years later these men were fighting in the Battle of Britain and Helensburgh had its own RAF station. Image supplied by Robin Bird.
Churchill_19681.jpg
Centre Opens987 viewsSome of the children who attended the official opening of the Drumfork Community Centre in the Churchill naval married quarters estate in 1968.
Churchill_Opening0682.jpg
Churchill Opening944 viewsThe Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Brigadier Robert Arbuthnott, meets the first tenants at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.
Clyde_convoy.jpg
Last convoy1099 viewsThe last convoy of World War Two gathers in the Clyde off Gourock. This famous image was taken by outstanding Greenock photographer James Hall. Image date unknown.
Commodore_Kent0322.jpg
First Commodore Leaves1105 viewsThe first Commodore Clyde, Derek Kent, and his wife leave the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane at the end of his tour of duty. He was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Flag Officer Malta.
Convoy-1-w.jpg
Navy prepares773 viewsA rare World War Two photograph taken from Portkil, Kilcreggan, looking at a battleship and several cruisers in the Clyde between Portkil and Greenock. Donated to the Heritage Trust by Michael Wilson, the image is thought to be of vessels assembling for the North Africa landings in 1943.
Convoy-2-w.jpg
WW2 shipping748 viewsA rare World War Two photograph taken from Portkil, Kilcreggan, looking at naval and other shipping in the Clyde between Helensburgh and Greenock. Donated to the Heritage Trust by Michael Wilson, the image is possibly of vessels assembling for the North Africa landings in 1943.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship1586 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
Derflinger~1.jpg
End of a battleship1225 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946 for shipbreaking. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow.
Faslane-from-above-w.jpg
Faslane Base711 viewsA view of HM Naval Base Clyde at Faslane from the hillside above. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Faslane_19825.jpg
CND Demonstration1266 viewsMembers of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament demonstrate outside the south gate of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on March 22 1982.
Faslane_construction.jpg
Faslane base construction1077 viewsWork in progress on construction of the shiplift and finger jetty for servicing nuclear submarines at the north end of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane. Work began in 1987 and was completed in 1993. Image, circa 1988, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
91 files on 8 page(s) 3