Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Education

Cumberland_(Dundee).jpg
T.S. Cumberland933 viewsTRAINING SHIPS were moored in the Gareloch off Kidston Point from 1869 for 54 years. The first was HMS Cumberland, after which Cumberland Avenue in Helensburgh and the much older Cumberland Terrace in Rhu were named. Built in 1842 at Chatham, she was a 2,214-ton two-deck 70-gun man o'war, 180 feet long, with a crew of up to 620 men. In 1869 she was taken over for use as a training vessel by the newly formed Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association. This image, one of only two known images of the vessel, is reproduced by kind permission of Dundee City Archives. The other can be seen on the Trust website.
Empress-Band-2~0.jpg
CTS Empress Band2017 viewsHarry Wadsworth, Bandmaster, late of the Coldstream Guards Band, with the band of the training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the loch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1910.
Empress-Christmas-card-w.jpg
1040 viewsThe Christmas card of the Training Ship Empress which was moored in the Gareloch off Kidston Point from 1889 to 1923. Image supplied by Robert Pool, whose great grandfather James McDonald was a boy on the Training Ship Cumberland and a teacher on the Empress.
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress2239 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Empress3.jpg
TS Empress2160 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. In this picture some can be seen aloft. Image circa 1910.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress2134 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Glenmallon-1.jpg
Glenmallon School1877 viewsPupils of Glenmallon School on Loch Longside travelled to Helensburgh for this 1940 class photograph. Back row: Agnes ?, Alison Craig, Ernest ?, Rita Beattie, Rosemary Cameron, Rae Bolton (kilt); middle row: Sheila Anton, Peter McKichen, Betty Bowie, Miss Ferguson, Elspeth ? On ground: Jean Stone and Jimmy Beattie. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Glenmallon-2.jpg
Glenmallon School1840 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19102162 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
Glen_Fruin_school2.jpg
Pupils of Glen Fruin School circa 1910-122303 viewsThree of the pupils are James, Graham, and Robert Douglas Thorburn. The picture was taken by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn.
Hermitage-1-06_083.jpg
Academy opening2005 viewsVIP guests the Duke of Argyll and the Commodore Clyde, Commodore Chris Hockley, and his wife chat after the official opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008.
Hermitage-1944.jpg
Hermitage class 19442373 viewsA Hermitage School class pictured in 1944. Top row (from left): Robin Maltman, Drew Buchanan, Neil Burgess, Clark Gibson, John Mills, Billy Price, John Glennie, Harry McAdam; 2nd row: Donald McLean, ?, Harry Fraser, ?, Robin Price, ?, Gordon Grant, Jim Campbell, Herbert Curtis, Ronnie Porter; 3rd row: Eric Beauman, Victor Petrie, Philip O´Brian, Silvia Mitchell, Pat Patterson, Florence Hendry, Lorna Robb, Helen Freeland, ?, Judith Peel, Maggie Rice; 4th row: Rene Webster, Miss Adair, Sheena Campbell, Ailsa Pattison, Kay Willison, Aileen Dodd, ?, ?, ?, Elma Davis, Joyce Henderson, Susan Drysdale; front row: John Ferris, Billy Young, Henry Curtis, Jim McNeill, Angus Tran, David Griffiths, Duncan MacCallum. Image supplied by Gordon Tran, and names by Gordon Fraser and Jim McNeil.
137 files on 12 page(s) 5