Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

Cairndhu_Hotel_card.jpg
Cairndhu Hotel793 viewsA card advertising the historic Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion.. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Clydesdale_Bank_mono.jpg
The Clydesdale Bank637 viewsIn 1857, the Clydesdale Banking Company opened in the premises held by the Western Bank, with the enterprising agent of the closed establishment, Mr Orr, as their manager, and shortly afterwards they built these handsome offices in James Street. The presence of the metal railings outside the bank show that the photo was taken before the Second World War, as metal railings were removed during the war as part of the war effort. The bank is covered in flags, probably to commemorate either the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 or the Coronation of George VI two years later. This photo was given to the Trust by a Clydesdale employee when the branch closed.
CMJ-Staff-w.jpg
Editorial conference623 viewsHelensburgh Advertiser editor Donald Fullarton, sports editor Tony McGinley (who used the pen name Gare Clyde), and Advertiser founder and proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey beside the 'stone' where the hot metal pages were prepared at the East King Street printworks. Image c.1970.
CMJ_Ltd__photo0136.jpg
Day of the Sale1084 viewsThis was taken outside the Helensburgh Advertiser's East King Street premises in 1985 on the day the weekly newspaper was sold to Express Newspapers. It shows (from left) Helensburgh man Ronnie Fowler of Express Newspapers, an Express executive, founder Craig Jeffrey, Sir David McNee, Advertiser chief cashier Mrs Freda Aram from Garelochhead, another Express executive, co-owner Ronnie Jeffrey, and managing editor Donald Fullarton.
Codona-shows-1-w.jpg
Shows lease ended471 viewsAn Argyll and Bute Council report has recommended that the lease granted to Codona’s Amusements for its site next to Helensburgh pier should not be renewed when it expires in November because of the project for a multi-million pound 'centrepiece' development for the town on the waterfront. The shows have been operated by the family firm in summer for several decades. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Codona-shows-2-w.jpg
Shows no more496 viewsAn Argyll and Bute Council report has recommended that the lease granted to Codona’s Amusements for its site next to Helensburgh pier should not be renewed when it expires in November because of the project for a multi-million pound 'centrepiece' development for the town on the waterfront. The shows have been operated by the family firm in summer for several decades. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Colquhoun_Arms.jpg
Ardlui Hotel762 viewsA bus waits outside Ardlui Hotel — at that time named the Colquhoun Arms Hotel, as is the hotel at Luss. Image circa 1948.
Colquhoun_Arms_Luss.jpg
Colquhoun Arms Hotel787 viewsA view of the Colquhoun Arms Hotel at Luss when the proprietor was S.W.Colquhoun, described as a well appointed Residential and Commercial Hotel. Image date unknown.
Commodore-Hotel-1968~1.jpg
Commodore Hotel1114 viewsThe Commodore Hotel, formerly Kingsclere Hotel, on Helensburgh's west seafront in 1968. It was burnt down during the firemen's strike in December 1978, when solders in Green Goddesses attended the middle of the night blaze which was fanned by strong winds. Most of the hotel was destroyed, but it was rebuilt and has since been altered and extended several times. Image circa 1973.
commodore.jpg
Commodore Hotel1296 viewsThis postcard of the former Kingsclere Hotel is post-dated sometime in the 1960s, before most of the hotel was extensively damaged by a fire in the early hours during a firemens strike.
Consort_Service_Station.jpg
Consort Service Station919 viewsThe Consort Service Station, owned by the Tomlinson family, which stood on East Clyde Street next to the Queen's Hotel and closed in 2006. Image circa 1970.
Daligan-Farm-trial.jpg
Agricultural Trial824 viewsAn unusual picture of a mossland reclamation experiment conducted by the West of Scotland Agricultural College at Daligan Farm, above Helensburgh. The two plots were dressed the previous year with Quicklime, at a rate of four tons per acre, and it is claimed that the increase in potato crop in the left hand plot thanks to Albert's Basic Slag and Potash was enormous, with 6 tons 6 cwt of potatoes per acre, valued at £2 per ton. Image date unknown.
121 files on 11 page(s) 3