Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

Ardencaple_Hotel.jpg
Ardencaple Hotel991 viewsThe Ardencaple Hotel beside the main road between Helensburgh and Rhu when W.Thomson was the manager. A former coaching inn named the Ardencaple Inn, it was built in the early 1800s by the Duke of Argyll and had its own stables to cater for travellers between Glasgow and Argyll. It replaced the Cairndhu Inn which once stood in Cairndhu Park, which is now Kidston Park, and used much of its stonework. About 1860 it became a private mansion owned by Mrs Rosina Drew and her husband Peter, and about 1912 it reverted to being a hotel. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple_Mill.jpg
Ardencaple Mill860 viewsArdencaple Mill, on the left beside Rhu Road Higher. Image published by Macneur & Bryden Ltd., Helensburgh, circa 1917.
Arrochar-Hotel.jpg
The Arrochar Hotel825 viewsAn old view of the Arrochar Hotel. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. Image date unknown.
Arrochar_Hotel,_colour.jpg
Arrochar Hotel787 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1955, after the building of a large extension. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-1.jpg
Arrochar Hotel691 viewsA 1962 image of Arrochar Hotel and pier on Loch Longside, with Ben Lomond in the background. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-2~0.jpg
Arrochar Hotel682 viewsOriginally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. It has been considerably expanded and is now the Arrochar Hotel. Image circa 1925.
Arrochar_Hotel.jpg
Arrochar Hotel743 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1948. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel~0.jpg
Arrochar Hotel97 viewsAn old view of the Arrochar Hotel. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. Image circa 1916.
Arrochar_House_Hotel.jpg
Arrochar House Hotel49 viewsOriginally the ancestral seat of the Clan McFarlane, the hotel was founded in 1697. Originally Inverioch House, it became Arrochar House, then the Arrochar House Hotel which it was when this photo was taken. By 1950 it was owned and being run as a temperance hotel by Mrs Annie McLeod. In the 1970s Bobby Campbell from Alexandria bought it and changed the name to the Cobbler Hotel. In the 1980s Pam and Maurice Root-Reid bought the hotel from Mr Campbell, and they built a large extension to the right. In 2004 Wallace Arnold/Sheerings bought the hotel and changed the name to Claymore Hotel.
Auchengaich-cattle-w.jpg
Auchengaich cattle639 viewsCattle graze east of Auchengaich Farm in Glen Fruin on a sunny morning in 1910. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.
Balernock-reaping-w.jpg
Harvest85 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows harvesting on the hillside above Balernock or Shandon pier. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
Blairnairn-Farm2C-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Fruin farm31 viewsBlairnairn Farm in Glen Fruin. Image date c.1920.
126 files on 11 page(s) 2