Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Rhu-or-Shandon-pier.jpg
On the pier61 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows passengers arriving at either Rhu or Shandon pier. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
Rhu_steamer2532.jpg
Steamer at Rhu880 viewsA steamer, probably the 271-ton Lucy Ashton which was used on the Craigendoran-Gareloch run, leaves Rhu (then Row) Pier, with the training ship Empress beyond. Circa 1905.
SS_Prince_George8.jpg
SS Prince George818 viewsThe 256-ton Prince George, pictured at Balloch pier packed with passengers, was in service on Loch Lomond from 1899 to 1938. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, she was towed up the Leven. Her machinery meant she was rather expensive to operate. Most of her service was on the Balloch to Ardlui route, although she did do some afternoon excursion work. She was withdrawn and laid up at Balloch in 1938. Image date unknown.
SS_Talisman.jpg
SS Kenilworth721 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Staff-at-Rhu-Pier-w.jpg
Rhu Pier staff683 viewsStaff and passengers wait at Rhu Pier. Image date unknown.
Steamers-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Steamers at Craigendoran979 viewsA 1933 picture of most of the LNER fleet at Craigendoran. The two which can be seen least well are the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans, while in the centre are the Talisman and the Marmion. The steamer terminal and station opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone.
Steamer_at_Craigendoran-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton104 viewsThe paddle steamer Lucy Ashton berthed at Craigendoran pier. Image circa 1910.
Steamer_at_Garelochhead.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead825 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.
Steamer_at_Rhu.jpg
Talisman at Rhu857 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis, approaches Rhu Pier. In the background is the Training Ship Empress, while on the right Rosneath Castle can be seen across the loch. This image, circa 1915, was used on the cover of John Hood's book of old photos entitled 'Old HELENSBURGH, RHU & SHANDON'.
Steamer_leaves_Tarbet047.jpg
Leaving Tarbet pier669 viewsA steamer — identity unknown — leaves Tarbet pier, looking north on Loch Lomond. Image circa 1920.
Steamer_map.jpg
Map card781 viewsA map card showing the MacBrayne steamer PS Columba and a map of the Firth of Clyde, circa 1902.
Talisman.jpg
DEPV Talisman786 viewsBuilt in 1935 by A. & J.Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the London & North Eastern Railway, the 544-ton diesel-electric direct drive paddle steamer was used on year-round runs from Craigendoran to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute. She saw World War Two service as HMS Aristocrat, including being an HQ ship at the Normandy landings. After 1953 she was allocated to the Wemyss Bay - Largs - Millport ferry route. She was withdrawn after the 1966 season and broken up for scrap at Dalmuir in 1967. Image taken 1946.
83 files on 7 page(s) 6