Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

PS_Columba11.jpg
PS Columba785 viewsBuilt in 1878 by J. & G.Thomson at Clydebank, the 602-ton Columba is regarded as the most famous and luxurious Clyde steamer. An early steel-hulled vessel and at 301 feet, the largest Clyde steamer of her time, she operated the Glasgow to Ardrishaig service as part of MacBraynes 'Royal Route' to Oban. Reboilered in 1900, she was sold after the 1935 season, and broken up at Dalmuir. She is pictured off Gourock. Image date unknown.
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry671 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno798 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.
PS_Saint_Columba2284.jpg
TS Saint Columba892 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman734 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.
PS_Waverley_(1st)299.jpg
The first Waverley663 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
Redgauntlet-Kenilworth.jpg
Redgauntlet and Kenilworth789 viewsThe North British Railway steamers Redgauntlet and Kenilworth are pictured at Craigendoran Pier in this excellent 1905 picture. A cart loaded with coal is waiting on the left to refuel the Redgauntlet after the passengers have alighted.
Redgauntlet.jpg
Redgauntlet732 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
Redgauntlet120.jpg
Redgauntlet at war792 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
Redgauntlet~0.jpg
Steamer then minesweeper570 viewsThe Clyde steel paddle steamer Redgauntlet, built in 1895 for the North British Steam Packet Co. at Craigendoran and launched on April 4, is pictured at the Isle of May. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, at their Clydeholm Yard, and in May 1909 passed to the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. for its Firth of Forth service. On May 4 1916 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a minesweeper and was based in Grimsby and commissioned as HMS Redgauntlet II. The following year she was bought by the Royal Navy, and two years later sold to French owners and registered in Algeria. It is believed that she was scrapped in 1934.
Rhu-Bay-_-Lucy-Ashton.jpg
Lucy Ashton at Rhu748 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton is seen in Rhu Bay in this image published by Winton, Stationer, Rhu. David Winton left his job with the Post Office in Arbroath about 1910 as he was becoming blind, and he and his wife moved to Rhu where they were Postmaster and Postmistress until the mid-1950s. Image supplied by their great grandson, Alistair Quinlan.
Rhu_steamer2532.jpg
Steamer at Rhu862 viewsA steamer, probably the 271-ton Lucy Ashton which was used on the Craigendoran-Gareloch run, leaves Rhu (then Row) Pier, with the training ship Empress beyond. Circa 1905.
80 files on 7 page(s) 5