Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Luss_pier_steamer.jpg
Steamer at Luss766 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer boards passengers at Luss Pier, circa 1938.
Luss_steamer3641~1.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer780 viewsThis picture of a steamer, probably the SS St George, in Luss Straits was published by C.R.Gilchrist & Sons, Alexandria, circa 1926.
Maid-of-the-Loch4072.jpg
Maid of the Loch826 viewsA Hector Cameron photo of the Maid of the Loch at Balloch Pier in August 1970. The 555 ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
Maid_of_the_Loch1834.jpg
PS Maid of the Loch840 viewsThe 555 ton Maid of the Loch was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier — where this picture was taken in 1968 — by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
Maid_of_the_Loch2521.jpg
Maid of the Loch804 viewsThe paddle steamer Maid of the Loch leaving Inversnaid for a cruise to the head of Loch Lomond in June 1968. The 555-ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch, reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid Preservation Society.
Marmion-at-Arrochar-w.jpg
S.S. Marmion659 viewsAn early image of the Clyde paddle steamer Marmion leaving Arrochar. The 403 ton vessel was launched on May 5 1906 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, and placed on the Loch Goil and Arrochar service for the North British SP. She was requisitioned for mineweeping duty at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to the Clyde for the 1920 season, then was laid up for a redesign. She returned to service in 1926 as an all-year-round vessel, was reboilered in 1932, then again was requisitioned for war service. She was stationed at Harwich and survived the Dunkirk evacuations, but was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941. Later she was raised and scrapped.
Marmion.jpg
P.S. Marmion822 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Craigendoran to Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.
Marmion1805.jpg
PS Marmion848 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.
On-board-Waverley-1920.jpg
1920 Waverley cruise686 viewsPassengers on board the paddle steamer Waverley on a cruise from Craigendoran in 1920. Photo by courtesy of Professor Graham Lappin's excellent pictorial website www.dalmadan.com.
PS-Jeanie-Deans5311.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans874 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans, circa 1933. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
PS-Kenilworth-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth785 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg
Redgauntlet695 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934. Image circa 1925.
85 files on 8 page(s) 4