Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Loch_Lomond_Frozen_1963.jpg
Frozen steamer860 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.
Loch_Lomond_steamer.jpg
Loch Lomond 1900851 viewsA paddle steamer pictured on Loch Lomond on July 23 1900.
Lucy-Ashton-at-Hel-pier4793.jpg
Lucy Ashton at Helensburgh866 viewsThe 200 ton steamer Lucy Ashton, built in 1888, leaves Helensburgh pier for Craigendoran. Image date unknown, but before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928.
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton62 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed92 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
Lucy_Ashton,_Jeanie_Deans.jpg
Popular paddlers810 viewsA 1948 view of two of the most popular steamers at their base at Craigendoran Pier, the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans.
Lucy_Ashton-21909.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton850 viewsThe Lucy Ashton approaches Barremman Pier at Clynder. She operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. The pier was built about 1887 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, and demolished in 1967.
Lucy_Ashton1883.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton837 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars. Pictured in 1947 after her post-war refurbishment, she made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Lucy_Ashton_at_war276.jpg
Lucy Ashton at war736 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars, and is pictured on the Clyde during the Second World War. She made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Luss_pier_steamer.jpg
Steamer at Luss720 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer boards passengers at Luss Pier, circa 1938.
Luss_steamer3641~1.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer760 viewsThis picture of a steamer, probably the SS St George, in Luss Straits was published by C.R.Gilchrist & Sons, Alexandria, circa 1926.
Maid-of-the-Loch4072.jpg
Maid of the Loch782 viewsA Hector Cameron photo of the Maid of the Loch at Balloch Pier in August 1970. The 555 ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
79 files on 7 page(s) 3