Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

Push___pull_engine3224.jpg
Push and pull1177 viewsThis LNER Class C15 Reid N.B. design locomotive, weighing 60 tons, was pictured at Arrochar and Tarbet Station in 1959 by Derek Penney. The class dated from 1911 and was built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. It was one of three which operated the push and pull service from Craigendoran to Arrochar, known as 'The Wee Arrochar'.
Railway-staff5.jpg
Helensburgh Station staff1111 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Station, circa 1900. Front row: goods porters Mr Hosie, and John Robertson, goods clerks John Hamilton and Mr Latto, chief goods clerk John Purvis, stationmaster Mr Purvis, booking clerk Ivor McIvor, parcel clerk Tom Govan, passenger porters Tom Govan and Andrew Graham, examiner Peter McFarlane; standing: unknown, parcel carter John Gray, parcel porter Bobby Summers, shunters Robert Wilson and George Melville, foreman William Brown, unknown, signalmen Mr McIntosh and William Lyle.
Railway_engine2462.jpg
Days of steam1093 viewsThe 84-ton engine 67621 prepares to pull a steam train from Helensburgh Central to Glasgow. The V1 class, a Gresley design, was introduced in 1930. Image date unknown.
Railway_engine_67613.jpg
67613 at Helensburgh980 views67613, pictured at the Helensburgh shed, was of the Gresley-designed V1 class. Introduced in 1930, this class of engine weighed 84 tons. Image date unknown.
Railway_engine_67662.jpg
67662 at Helensburgh1014 viewsThe Thompson-designed Class L1 engine 67662 takes on water at the Helensburgh shed on June 21 1955. The class was introduced in 1945 and weighed almost 90 tons.
Rhu-Station22.jpg
Rhu Station1156 viewsRhu Station on the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Rhu was the only one of the local upper stations not designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Shandon-Station23.jpg
Shandon Station1183 viewsShandon Station on the West Highland Line, which was opened in 1894. Like all the other local upper stations except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Signal_box_Helensburgh.jpg
Signal box156 viewsThe old signal box just outside Helensburgh Central Station, with Alma Place in the background. Image date unknown.
Station-Goods-yard-w.jpg
Station goods yard813 viewsA view of Helensburgh Central Station, the engine shed and goods yard. Image circa 1950, copyright A.Scarsbrook/Initial Photographics.
Station-yard-25.jpg
Helensburgh Station1210 viewsThe Central Station and goods yard in the days of steam, pictured from the St Columba Church tower. Image date unknown.
Steam_train.jpg
Leaving for Glasgow1009 viewsA train pulled by the Gresley V1 2-6-2 Tank Locomotive 67611 is seen leaving Helensburgh Central for Glasgow. Image circa 1950.
Thomas-Purves-w.jpg
Thomas A.Purves642 viewsThomas A.Purves was stationmaster at Helensburgh Central Station for 31 years before retiring in June 1915 after 50 years service with the North British Railway Company. To mark the occasion, this photo appeared on a postcard published by the Helensburgh printing firm of Lindsay Laidlaw.
75 files on 7 page(s) 6