Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

Engine_Helensburgh.jpg
Engine 'Helensburgh'1030 viewsThree of these 47-ton Drummond 4-4-0T locomotives were built in 1879 by Neilson & Co. No further D50s were built, and the last two were withdrawn in 1926. The D50s worked the trains between Glasgow and Helensburgh before being replaced by Reid C15 4-4-2T tank engines in 1913. They then moved to Dundee, Eastfield, and Parkhead. All three members of the D50 class were named — 494 Craigendoran, 495 Roseneath, 496 Helensburgh. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut; date unknown.
Garelochheaad-turntable12.jpg
Garelochhead turntable1130 viewsThe engine turntable near Garelochhhead Station. Image date unknown.
Garelochhead-Station-w.jpg
Garelochhead Station683 viewsA view of Garelochhead Station on the West Highland Line. Image, date unknown, supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Garelochhead-Station13.jpg
Garelochhead Station1081 viewsGarelochhead Station on the West Highland Line. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Garelochhead-train14.jpg
Train at Garelochhead1186 viewsA steam train passes through Garelochhead Station. The engine no.67460 is a Class C15 push-and-pull, a class designed by Reid and introduced in 1911, weighing some 68 tons. Image date unknown.
Glen-Douglas-Station15.jpg
Glen Douglas Station1079 viewsGlen Douglas Station on the West Highland Line, which opened in 1894. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-Central-19792.jpg
Helensburgh Central Station1278 viewsA fairly modern view of the Central Station in East Princes Street, taken on September 20 1979.
Helensburgh-Central-Photo-by-Macneur-_-Bryden-w.jpg
Helensburgh Central704 viewsPassengers board a train at Helensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.
Helensburgh-Central-w.jpg
Helensburgh Central944 viewsA view of Helensburgh Central Station taken from the Grant Street footbridge on May 28 1971, showing the two sidings to the right.
Helensburgh-derailment4.jpg
Helensburgh derailment1398 viewsThis derailment, which occurred about 1968, is shown from the Adelaide Street footbridge looking west towards Helensburgh Central Station.
Helensburgh-Shed17.jpg
The Helensburgh Shed1169 viewsSteam locomotives at the Helensburgh shed beside the Central Station, with the St Columba Church tower barely visible through the haze. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-Station3.jpg
Early Helensburgh Station1248 viewsAn 1875 picture of the second of three Helensburgh stations. From 1857 the first station was at George Street, but by 1862 the railway had been brought to this East Princes Street site to the east of the present Central Station, which replaced it a few years later.
75 files on 7 page(s) 4