Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Cove_from_North_Ailey3241.jpg
Cove671 viewsA view of Cove from North Ailey, circa 1904.
Craigendoran_Avenue.jpg
Craigendoran Avenue734 viewsThe terraced houses on both sides of the unmade-up Craigendoran Avenue. Image circa 1905.
Craigs-pool-w.jpg
Craigs Pool699 viewsA view of the most popular summer picnic area in Glen Fruin, Craigs Pool. Image, circa 2006, supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Cumberland_Terrace3011.jpg
Cumberland Terrace755 viewsCumberland Terrace in Rhu, circa 1917. It was named after the Sail Training Ship Cumberland, which was anchored off Kidston Park from 1886, when she was endowed by 12 prosperous Glasgow merchants to be a home for boys aged 12-14 at risk of being drawn into crime, until she burnt to the waterline in 1889. No lives were lost, but four boys were charged with 'incendiarism'. She was replaced by the Empress. Cumberland Terrace was built to house the ship's officers and a hospital.
Drumfad-Farm-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Glen Fruin farm724 viewsA 1914 image of Glen Fruin, with Drumfad Farm in the foreground.
Dunmore-and-Pier-Road-w.jpg
Pier Road, Rhu721 viewsAn old image of the junction of the seafront road and Pier Road, Rhu, with the pier house opposite. The mansion was Dunmore House, which was eventually demolished and replaced by two matching modern houses. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
Early_Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch evening673 viewsA view south looking across Rhu Pier to the Training Ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. Image date unknown.
Early_Rhu.jpg
Rhu village736 viewsAn early image of the village of Rhu, at that time Row. It shows the school where the village green now is, and the villa Ardenvohr, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image date unknown.
East-Bay-_-3-girls.jpg
The East Bay679 viewsAn old view of the East Bay looking towards the town centre. Image date unknown.
Faslane_Bay2681.jpg
Faslane Bay713 viewsA tranquil Faslane Bay, long before it became a military port and was used for shipbreaking. Image date unknown.
Ferry_House.jpg
Ferry House778 viewsChildren play on the shore at Ferry House, Rosneath, formerly Ferry Inn. The Edwin Lutyens-designed building was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub, and for a time it was a home for injured soldiers. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image circa 1904.
Ferry_House1975.jpg
Ferry House738 viewsAn aerial view of Ferry House, Rosneath, formerly Ferry Inn, taken in 1965. The Edwin Lutyens-designed building was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle.
232 files on 20 page(s) 4