Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Stormy-seafront005.jpg
Stormy seafront1071 viewsA pre-1945 view from a balcony at the former Queen's Hotel, looking west towards Helensburgh pier on a very stormy day.
sugar-ship-w.jpg
Sugar ship893 viewsThe 8,325 ton Greek cargo ship Captayannis lying on a sandbank near to Ardmore Point. On the evening of January 27 1974 the area suffered from a terrific storm which blew the vessel from its anchor and caused it to collide with the BP tanker British Light. The anchor chains of the tanker holed the sugar boat, allowing water to pour into her, so she was beached in the shallow waters over the sandbank. Beyond is Helensburgh seafront and, up the hill, the huge metal box covering the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House during extensive repairs. 2020 image by T.Nugent. © Copyright and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.
The-Barracks6.jpg
The Barracks1403 viewsA notorious property known as The Barracks, or Fugie's Property, which was on the west side of James Street between Princes Street and King Street roughly where the playpark now is, is pictured in the early stages of demolition in the 1890s. The 29 dwellings had housed railway employees and railway construction workers.
Toll_Cottage2341.jpg
Old Milligs Toll House1328 viewsThe Toll Cottage at the top of Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, looks pristine in this 1911 picture as a farmer leads his horse and cart down the hill. In 2018-19 the little building was substantially expanded and modernised, and is now a private dwelling
Town_centre_seafront.jpg
Town centre seafront1072 viewsAn aerial view of the town centre and seafront from west of William Street to the pierhead, taken by Craig M.Jeffrey circa 1970.
Two-Burgh-Hospitals.jpg
Two Burgh Hospitals1069 viewsOn the left is the Victoria Infirmary, built in 1895 to the design of the celebrated architect William Leiper and partly in use today, and on the right is the Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital which was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later. Image date unknown.
Upper_Sinclair_Street.jpg
Upper Sinclair Street777 viewsA sunlit evening view of Upper Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1950.
Victoria-Hall-rear-w.jpg
Victoria Hall rear1037 viewsAn unusual view of the Victoria Hall taken from the rear in Hermitage Park. At the back of the hall are workshops, while to the right is part of the remains of the Malig Mill which was demolished in 1922. Image is circa 1926 and is reproduced here by courtesy of the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries Collection.
Victoria-Infirmary017-w.jpg
The Victoria Infirmary760 viewsA 1908 image of the Victoria Infirmary in East King Street. It was built in 1895 to the design of the celebrated architect William Leiper, remains partly in use today. The gatehouse was demolished some years ago.
Victoria_Hall.jpg
Victoria Hall908 viewsThe Victoria Hall in Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, with its original metal railings in front which were removed during World War Two to help the war effort. They were replaced to mark the burgh's bicentenary in 2002 after an initiative by the Friends of the Victoria Hall. The building itself was funded by public subscription in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and was altered and added to by A.N.Paterson in 1899.
Victoria_Hall028.jpg
Victoria Hall811 viewsThe Victoria Hall in Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, with its original metal railings in front which were removed during World War Two to help the war effort. They were replaced to mark the burgh's bicentenary in 2002 after an initiative by the Friends of the Victoria Hall. The building itself was funded by public subscription in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and was altered and added to by A.N.Paterson in 1899.
Victoria_Hall2946.jpg
The Victoria Hall1109 viewsThe Victoria Hall in Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, with its original metal railings in front which were removed during World War Two to help the war effort. They were replaced to mark the burgh's bicentenary in 2002 after an initiative by the Friends of the Victoria Hall. The building itself was funded by public subscription in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and was altered and added to by A.N.Paterson in 1899.
325 files on 28 page(s) 25