Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Pier stroll952 viewsStrolling back up Helensburgh pier, circa 1960, are Stewart Noble (now chairman of Helensburgh Heritage Trust), Lesley Marshall (now Mrs Lesley Kennedy), Jennifer Taylor (now living in Canada), and a visitor from France.
Looking north from pier754 viewsA view looking up Helensburgh pier towards Colquhoun Street, with the outdoor pool entrance on the right. Image, circa 1976, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Packed pier828 viewsHelensburgh pier, outdoor pool and seafront are packed on a sunny summer day in 1935.
Seafront looking east788 viewsThis view eastwards from the pier shows a busy beach, the bandstand, shows, the Granary and the Old Parish Church, with the Queen's Hotel in the distance. Image date unknown.
Relaxing on seafront817 viewsThis old view from Helensburgh pier looking east shows townsfolk young and old on the beach making the most of a good day. Image date unknown.
The Plaza Ballroom1164 viewsThe Plaza Ballroom at 23 John Street opened in 1927 and was very popular with British and American servicemen during World War Two who knew it as the 'Honky Tonk'. Eventually the site was bought by the Town Council, and in 1970 it was demolished and flats built on the site. From 1913-27 it was the Cine Electric Picture House, closing because of competition from other cinemas.
Outdoor pool916 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool on a sunny summer day, with townsfolk and trippers on the beach beyond. The Granary Restaurant and the Old Parish Church are prominent. Image date unknown.
The Post Office1096 viewsLooking across Colquhoun Square from the north east quadrant — which has a palm tree in its flowerbed — towards the Post Office. Image circa 1970.
Family outing949 viewsA family take a seat on the West Bay promenade while another group play on the beach, circa 1907.
Provost's Lamps1064 views It was a tradition that provosts of Helensburgh had a special lamp post erected outside their house during their term of office. This photograph shows the two lamp posts which stood outside Billy Petrie's house at Segton, John Street at the time of his death in 2022. The coats of arms on the glass are for Dunbartonshire County Council, Dumbarton District Council, Argyll and Bute Council, and Strathclyde Regional Council. He had been provost of the first three of these councils, but not of the last - quite probably a unique state of affairs.
Busy putting green918 viewsHelensburgh's West Esplanade is packed and the putting green busy in this 1941 image, with the Granary Restaurant and the Old Parish Church beyond.
Putting Green1066 viewsLooking east along the West Clyde Street putting green on a sunny day in the 1940s. Exact image date unknown.
325 files on 28 page(s) 20