Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

1970-Aerial-view-11.jpg
Town centre aerial view1567 viewsThis picture of the central part of Helensburgh is circa 1970.
1970-Aerial-view-22.jpg
View from above1649 viewsAn aerial view of central Helensburgh, circa 1970.
1999-Victoria-Inf-w.jpg
Victoria Infirmary garden54 viewsThis garden in front of the Victoria Infirmary and beside new build premises was sponsored by Helensburgh Toyota. 1999 photo by Kenneth Crawford.
1999_East-Bay-pavilion-w.jpg
East Bay Pavilion56 viewsThis building at the east end of Helensburgh's East Bay was a popular facility with bus parties and other visitors to have tea and look out at the Clyde. It was later taken over by a firm of architects as an office. When it was decided to demolish it in the 1990s a campaign to save it was unsuccessful. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.
2_the_Triangle.jpg
Burgh prefab403 viewsThe town had a number of prefab homes for several decades, and this one is 2 The Triangle, just behind the Victoria Infirmary and where Johnston Court is now. Image, date unknown, supplied by Helensburgh Memories member Paul Oakes.
Aerial_view_west.jpg
Aerial view to west1231 viewsA view of the west side of Helensburgh town centre, including the Old Parish Church, the old Granary building at the foot of Sinclair Street, the outdoor swimming pool, and the Tower Cinema and Pender's Garage in Colquhoun Square — all now demolished. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple1551.jpg
Ardencaple1198 viewsAn old picture of Ardencaple. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1594 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
Augusta_lodge_entrance.jpg
Helensburgh's west esplanade1138 viewsAn old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance. On the other side of the road, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Augusta_lodge_entrance2.jpg
1065 viewsA second old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance — and an advertisement for the West End Garage on a gable wall on the far side of the road. Beside it, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Bandstand,_Empress125.jpg
Kidston Park896 viewsA 1905 image of Kidston Park and its bandstand, with the Training Ship Empress moored in the Gareloch beyond.
Bandstand-and-pier-w.jpg
Bandstand and pier718 viewsLooking across from the Sinclair Street junction towards the bandstand, with the pier and a steamer beyond. Image circa 1910.
300 files on 25 page(s) 2