Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

Marine-View5141.jpg
Marine View1002 viewsAn old image of the Marine View building at the corner of East Clyde Street and Glenfinlas Street, with the East Bay grass in front. Image date unknown.
Mill_pond2.jpg
Mill Pond1127 viewsMothers and children at the enlarged mill pond in Hermitage Park next to where the Millig Mill once stood. Circa 1947.
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1386 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
Municipal_Buildings258.jpg
Municipal Buildings812 viewsThe Municipal Buildings at the junction of East Princes Street and Sinclair Street. They were built in Scots Baronial style in in 1878 by John Honeyman at a cost of £6,000, replacing an old theatre which had also served as the Town Hall. In 1906 A.N.Paterson added the Sinclair Street extension in a more restrained Scottish style to house the Police Station and Fire Station. Image circa 1914.
Municipal_Buildings292.jpg
Municipal Buildings786 viewsA family pose at the East Princes Street-Sinclair Street junction, in front of Helensburgh Municipal Buildings and beside David S.MacLachlan's bakery. Image circa 1909.
Municipal_Buildings_cat.jpg
Municipal Buildings cat878 viewsThis cat was a flight of fancy by architect and watercolourist Alexander Nisbet Paterson who was commissioned to design an extension to the Municipal Buildings in 1902 which was completed in 1906. The cat had become the pet of the builders, so the architect, a cat lover, immortalised it in stone on the second storey on the Sinclair Street side. As the extension housed the police station, he also added two pairs of stone handcuffs above the door. Image taken and supplied by Donald Fullarton.
neddy_s-point-w.jpg
Neddy's Point687 viewsAn 1840s image of Neddy's Point — now Kidston Park. It was formerly named Cairndhu Point, and was known locally as Neddy’s Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived in a cottage on the point. On it stood the original Ardencaple Coaching Inn, stone from which was used by the Duke of Argyll to build what is now the Ardencaple Hotel. Image supplied by Doris Gentles.
Old-seafront-pic.jpg
Seafront651 viewsAn early image of Helensburgh seafront, looking from the pier to the east side of the town. As there is no bandstand, it must have been taken before 1906. Image kindly supplied by Robert Ryan.
Old-Toll-house-2-w.jpg
Old Toll House656 viewsA lady, possibly the then owner, stands outside the Old Toll House at the top of Sinclair Street. In 2018-19 the little building was substantially expanded and modernised, and is a private dwelling. Image date unknown.
oldgrannery.jpg
Old Granary1419 viewsIn this image circa 1890 is the Old Parish Church with the old Granary in front. Where the children are playing is now a car park.
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s1454 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
Old_Colquhoun_Square7.jpg
North West Colquhoun Square1034 viewsA photo taken by Alexander Wilson, a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years, who in 1923 bequeathed much of his collection — and £50 to cover costs — to the Free Library Committee of Dundee. Image by courtesy of Dundee City Library.
315 files on 27 page(s) 17