Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque108 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.
Malig_mill_dam.jpg
Malig Mill dam660 viewsA rare image of the lade and dam for the Malig Mill in Hermitage Park, situated roughly where Hermitage Bowling Club and the tennis court are now, and in the distance is Hermitage House. The mill, a corn mill thought to have been in operation from the early 1700s, was at the rear of the Victoria Halls, and was demolished early in the 1920s. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Jim Chestnut.
Marine-View5141.jpg
Marine View966 viewsAn old image of the Marine View building at the corner of East Clyde Street and Glenfinlas Street, with the East Bay grass in front. Image date unknown.
Mill_pond2.jpg
Mill Pond1092 viewsMothers and children at the enlarged mill pond in Hermitage Park next to where the Millig Mill once stood. Circa 1947.
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1336 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
Municipal_Buildings258.jpg
Municipal Buildings774 viewsThe Municipal Buildings at the junction of East Princes Street and Sinclair Street. They were built in Scots Baronial style in in 1878 by John Honeyman at a cost of £6,000, replacing an old theatre which had also served as the Town Hall. In 1906 A.N.Paterson added the Sinclair Street extension in a more restrained Scottish style to house the Police Station and Fire Station. Image circa 1914.
Municipal_Buildings292.jpg
Municipal Buildings747 viewsA family pose at the East Princes Street-Sinclair Street junction, in front of Helensburgh Municipal Buildings and beside David S.MacLachlan's bakery. Image circa 1909.
Municipal_Buildings_cat.jpg
Municipal Buildings cat843 viewsThis cat was a flight of fancy by architect and watercolourist Alexander Nisbet Paterson who was commissioned to design an extension to the Municipal Buildings in 1902 which was completed in 1906. The cat had become the pet of the builders, so the architect, a cat lover, immortalised it in stone on the second storey on the Sinclair Street side. As the extension housed the police station, he also added two pairs of stone handcuffs above the door. Image taken and supplied by Donald Fullarton.
neddy_s-point-w.jpg
Neddy's Point650 viewsAn 1840s image of Neddy's Point — now Kidston Park. It was formerly named Cairndhu Point, and was known locally as Neddy’s Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived in a cottage on the point. On it stood the original Ardencaple Coaching Inn, stone from which was used by the Duke of Argyll to build what is now the Ardencaple Hotel. Image supplied by Doris Gentles.
Old-seafront-pic.jpg
Seafront614 viewsAn early image of Helensburgh seafront, looking from the pier to the east side of the town. As there is no bandstand, it must have been taken before 1906. Image kindly supplied by Robert Ryan.
Old-Toll-house-2-w.jpg
Old Toll House620 viewsA lady, possibly the then owner, stands outside the Old Toll House at the top of Sinclair Street. In 2018-19 the little building was substantially expanded and modernised, and is a private dwelling. Image date unknown.
oldgrannery.jpg
Old Granary1226 viewsIn this image circa 1890 is the Old Parish Church with the old Granary in front. Where the children are playing is now a car park.
300 files on 25 page(s) 16