Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Garage_and_Victoria_Hall.jpg
238 viewsLooking down Sinclair Street from Stafford Street and across at the Victoria Hall. The long low building is a garage which was originally part of the Millig Mill business, but the Mill was demolished in 1922. Originally Watts Yard Motor House and Repair Shop, it was taken over by final Mill owners R.S.MacFarlane & Son. Image date unknown.
Gareloch2222.jpg
Kidston view1257 viewsA view of the Gareloch from Kidston Park, circa 1939.
Garelochhead-w~1.jpg
Historic photo238 viewsAn albumen photo of Garelochhead village, c.1890, taken by George Washington Wilson (February 7 1823-March 9 1893), a pioneering Scottish photographer. In 1849, he began a career as a portrait miniaturist, switching to portrait photography in 1852. He received a contract to photograph the Royal Family, working for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Later he switched to landscape photography. An albumen print was made by coating thin paper with a layer of egg-white containing salt and sensitised with a silver nitrate solution, then printed using daylight under a negative. The resulting paper had a smooth surface with a fine sheen.
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone352 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.
Helensburgh-Central16.jpg
East Princes Street1339 viewsA view of East Princes Street in the days of horse-drawn carriages, with the station on the left in the days of the North British Railway. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-from-above_156.jpg
Helensburgh from above1773 viewsA colour version of a well known view of Helensburgh from above the Highlandman's road, with two steamers heading for Craigendoran pier, circa 1939.
Helensburgh-from-pier-w.jpg
Burgh from pier1617 viewsA 1959 image looking down the pier towards the town centre.
Helensburgh-from-Rosneath.jpg
Helensburgh from Rosneath1180 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above Rosneath, published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Rosneath. Image date unknown, probably early 1900s.
Helensburgh-old-pier-1848.jpg
Helensburgh Old Pier1061 viewsAn 1848 image of the original Helensburgh pier which was approximately at the east end of the East Bay, not far from Henry Bell's Baths (later Queen's) Hotel.
Helensburgh-pier-storm.jpg
Helensburgh Pier884 viewsAn atmospheric evening image of Helensburgh Pier. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-pier5222.jpg
Helensburgh Pier4991 viewsA view from the pier towards West Clyde Street and the Old Parish Church and the Granary, circa 1961.
Helensburgh-town-centre.jpg
Helensburgh town centre1222 viewsAn aerial view of the pier and the town centre, showing the outdoor swimming pool, the Old Parish Church, the Central Station and the railway goods yard. The image, date unknown, is from the collection of William Orr of Rhu, who was at one time the Burgh Engineer before becoming the Assistant Engineer for Argyllshire, and it was supplied by his great nephew, Alistair Quinlan.
325 files on 28 page(s) 11