Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Portincaple-house-.jpg
Mystery House134 viewsA July 1905 image which shows Mrs Smith and her dog Top outside their house, possibly at Portincaple. More information welcome.
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House1618 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
Redtowers-interior-1-w.jpg
Redtower1222 viewsAn early interior image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Redtowers-interior-2-w.jpg
Redtower1337 viewsAn early image of the dining room of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Redtowers-w.jpg
Redtower1378 viewsAn early image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Rhu_Arden_05_10_13.jpg
Rhu Arden1275 viewsA 2013 image of Rhu Arden, 1 Upper Sutherland Crescent, Helensburgh, which was built about 1871 by noted architect William Leiper and was originally named Bonnington. Later he built his own home, Terpersie, next door. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay1925 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Rosneath-Castle-demolition.jpg
Rosneath Castle demolition1593 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961 — when this picture was taken.
Rosneath-Castle-w.jpg
Rosneath Castle37 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
rosneathpier.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath2273 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image is undated.
Rosneath_Castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle1936 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
Rosneath_Castle29711.jpg
Rosneath Castle1852 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1905.
105 files on 9 page(s) 8