Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Longcroft-from-east-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft823 viewsA view from the east of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.
Longcroft-from-west-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft856 viewsThe traditional view from the west of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.
Mansion-1909-w.jpg
Name wanted967 viewsAn upper Helensburgh mansion in 1909 — but which one? Redtowers? Drumadoon/Morar Lodge?
Morar_House.jpg
Morar House1319 viewsThe sadly neglected Morar House, which for some years was renamed Drumadoon, at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, opposite the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House. It was built by William Leiper in 1903, a year after Hill House, for the McAlpine family who owned a shipping firm, and was later the home of the Hogarth shipping family. For some years it was a nursing home, but has been unoccupied since then and is rapidly deteriorating. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House2118 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House1545 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
Redtowers-interior-1-w.jpg
Redtower1159 viewsAn early interior image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Redtowers-interior-2-w.jpg
Redtower1245 viewsAn early image of the dining room of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Redtowers-w.jpg
Redtower1307 viewsAn early image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
Rhu_Arden_05_10_13.jpg
Rhu Arden1211 viewsA 2013 image of Rhu Arden, 1 Upper Sutherland Crescent, Helensburgh, which was built about 1871 by noted architect William Leiper and was originally named Bonnington. Later he built his own home, Terpersie, next door. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay1855 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Rosneath-Castle-demolition.jpg
Rosneath Castle demolition1512 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961 — when this picture was taken.
96 files on 8 page(s) 7