Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Invergare_old.jpg
Invergare, Rhu911 viewsAn old image of Invergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, which was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image date unknown.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross2042 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
Kilmahew-Castle1.jpg
Kilmahew Castle1985 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts.The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image date unknown.
Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg
Kilmahew Castle1016 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts. The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image, taken on February 1 2015, supplied by Stewart Noble.
Knockderry-Castle127.jpg
Knockderry Castle2185 viewsA view of Knockderry Castle at Cove, published by MacFarlane Brothers of Cove, circa 1908. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Knockderry-Castle5062.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove1999 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1970.
knockderrycastle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2327 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1912.
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2057 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1719 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
Knockderry_Castle~0.jpg
Knockderry Castle955 viewsA 1902 image of Knockderry Castle, high above the Cove shore. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, the Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House1846 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Lansdowne-Park-w.jpg
Lansdowne Park915 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.
101 files on 9 page(s) 6