Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Hill-House-box-w.jpg
Hill House 'box'50 viewsAn artist's impression of a huge box being erected over the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion in Upper Colquhoun Street in 2019 so that works can take place to solve damp ingress. in a pioneering conservation programme. The box is a protective steel frame structure covered in chainmail mesh with walkways around the roof and over the house, allowing people to see the house as never before.
Hill-House-construction-w.jpg
Hill House under construction1184 viewsA 1902 image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie, under construction. It was completed in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Hill-House-fireplace030.jpg
Hill House1073 viewsThe Drawing Room fireplace in The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
Hill_House.jpg
Hill House1010 viewsThe Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
Hill_House_(McFadzean).jpg
Hill House sketch1003 viewsA 1991 pen and ink sketch of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House in Upper Colquhoun Street by university lecturer, landscape architect and designer Susan McFadzean, wife of architect Ronald McFadzean, author of ‘The Life and Work of Alexander Thomson’. It is a limited edition print, and is available from her at her home, 45 Earlspark Drive, Bieldside, Aberdeen, AB15 9AH. An unmounted print is £14.99 plus £2.99 postage and packing.
Image1-118.jpg
Rosneath Castle2094 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro2139 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Inverclyde,_Cove.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1754 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Inverclyde-Cove020-w.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1015 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image circa 1913.
Invergare_(Rowalleyn)256.jpg
Invergare1597 viewsInvergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image circa 1912, published by M.Gordon, Row Pier.
Invergare_old.jpg
Invergare, Rhu887 viewsAn old image of Invergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, which was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image date unknown.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross2015 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
96 files on 8 page(s) 5