Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

cairndhu_06.jpg
Cairndhu panels1069 viewsDecorated panels in need of repair at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_07.jpg
Cairndhu carving1082 viewsA cafrving high on the wall of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_08.jpg
Cairndhu carving1040 viewsA carving above a window at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
Cairndhu_Hotel.jpg
Cairndhu1795 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
Cameron_House.jpg
Cameron House1294 viewsCameron House at Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, and was surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry.
Cameron_House033.jpg
Cameron House1231 viewsAn aerial view of Cameron House on Loch Lomondside, near Alexandria, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry. Image date unknown.
Cameron_House087.jpg
Cameron House1137 viewsCameron House at Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. Image circa 1906.
Camis_Eskan_1972-2.jpg
Camis Eskan House1568 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House1492 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Cove-from-shore-w.jpg
Cove villas669 viewsVillas in Cove pictured from the sea. Image circa 1932.
Craigrownie_Castle.jpg
Craigrownie Castle1091 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image circa 1914.
Craigrownie_Castle298.jpg
Craigrownie Castle1074 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image date unknown.
101 files on 9 page(s) 3