Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 35 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,267 times

Random files
Shandon-Station23.jpg
Shandon Station1149 viewsShandon Station on the West Highland Line, which was opened in 1894. Like all the other local upper stations except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Maggie-Hamilton-w.jpg
Maggie Hamilton667 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and she is seen here with their children Alistair and Viola outside their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.
Augusta_lodge_entrance.jpg
Helensburgh's west esplanade1126 viewsAn old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance. On the other side of the road, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
1901_obstacle_race.jpg
Obstacle race728 viewsAn obstacle race in Helensburgh on August 15 1901, obviously part of a well attended event.
General-De-Gaulle-Xmas-Eve-42-w.jpg
De Gaulle at Cove915 viewsFree French leader General Charles De Gaulle, later to become President of France, visited Free French naval wounded at the World War Two Knockderry Hospital in Cove — in the requisitioned Knockderry Castle — on Christmas Eve 1942. Having arrived with his aides by taxi from Kilcreggan Pier, driven by local man Tom McNeilage, he spent an hour with the patients and distributed gifts. The Secretary of State for Scotland would have attended to welcome him, but did not have enough notice of the visit. Photo by James Hall of Greenock, which is in the Norman Burniston Collection, published by kind permission of Norman Burniston.
Hermitage-Prefects-1955-w.jpg
Hermitage Prefects 1955914 viewsBack row (from left): Gordon Fraser, Tony Wright, Jim Maxwell, George Douglas, Alan Dunwoodie, Esme White, Josephine Park, Alistair McPherson, Margaret Johnstone, Bobby Lindsay, Sandy Peters, Stewart Douglas, Ian Paul; middle: Margaret McCulloch, Dykes Carswell, Margaret Rice, George Turnbull, Kathleen Turnbull, Neil Burgess, Katherine Taylor, Jimmy MacDonald, Isobel Thorburn, Stewart Clark, Florence Hendry, David Gall; front: Helen Orr, Joyce Mitchell, Ann Jardine, Isobel Thornton, Douglas Lamb, Headmaster George Mutch, Gillian Mutch, Megan Boak, Eleanor "Nelly" Kirkpatrick, Judith Peel, Elma Davis. Image kindly supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Early_Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch evening651 viewsA view south looking across Rhu Pier to the Training Ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran-Swim102.jpg
Pier to pier swim1358 viewsEntrants in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier race run by Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club are pictured on Craigendoran pier before the start. The winners were Jacqueline Craig (2nd from right) and Ken Mercer (right). Image circa 1965.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse45 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit39 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above12 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019