Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 74 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 38 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 31 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 50 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 72 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 33 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 50 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 47 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 59 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 57 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 50 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 40 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 42 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 50 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 38 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 54 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 46 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,768,125 times

Random files
West_End_United06410.jpg
West End United 19621910 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. They are at Hermitage playing fields, June 11 1962. Sitting: I.McFadyen, D.Smith, M.Gray, A.Moffat, M.Trueman; standing: Mr Shields, P.Robertson, R.Don, C.Lawrie, A.McGregor, T.Donaldson, I.McClafferty (captain).
McKenzie_Salver084.jpg
First winner907 viewsHelensburgh Lawn Tennis Club president Duncan Robson (right) and vice-president Donald Fullarton (left) present the Winifred McKenzie Salver to first winner Alec Forsyth. The salver was won by Mrs McKenzie at the club's golden jubilee celebrations, and at the centenary celebrations in 1984 she presented it to the club. The committee decided that it should be presented annually to someone who had given distinguished service to the club, on or off court.
Bannachra_Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle1388 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle is in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and is three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by Hamish Lumsden, whose family has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image circa 1940.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1731 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
Clyde-Street-School-choir2.jpg
Clyde Street School Choir2394 viewsWinners of the premier award at the Glasgow Music Festival in 1955, with music teacher Mrs Frances Gillies (then Miss Marshall) and head teacher Alex Douglas. Back: Marilyn White, -, Elizabeth Soutar, Anne Soutar, Mary McKinnon, -, the late Mrs Anne Hill, -, Molly Oswald; 2nd back: Mary Cranston, -, Rae Dennett, -, Donald Scott, -, Ronnie MacLean, -, Catriona McKinnon, Janet Fagan, -; 3rd back: Dolina Buchanan, -, Michael Kipling, Ilona Symons, Tom Spence, -, Jim Graham, -, -; front: -, -, Elizabeth Trail, -, Agnes Dennett, -, John McPhail, -, Willie Beeson, Elspeth Williamson, Rhoda McKinnon, Sheila Sommerville. More names would be welcomed.
Ark_Royal.jpg
Ark Royal's Farewell854 viewsThe 25 year-old aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal, the Royal Navy flagship, leaves Loch Long for the final time on Wednesday November 17 2010 after spending four days moored at the Glenmallon jetty for her ammunition to be removed, following the Government decision to decommission the 22,000 ton vessel. Photo: Crown Copyright; image made available by courtesy of the Clyde Naval Base, Faslane.
Talisker-KS.jpg
Talisker765 viewsThe steamboat Talisker heads for Helensburgh pier during the bicentenary celebrations on Saturday August 4 2012. A Helensburgh resident, Tom Peebles, built the vessel and its engine when he lived in the town, and at that time he was engineer for the Rhu RNLI lifeboat. Talisker was taken by trailer to his new home in Perthshire to be completed, and returned to Rhu by trailer for the celebrations. Photo by Kenneth Speirs.
Centenary_Cross270.jpg
Centenary Cross873 viewsThe pink granite Centenary Cross, donated in 1902 by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss to mark the centenary of the granting of the Burgh Charter, in its original position in the centre of Colquhoun Square. It was moved to the north west quadrant as it had become a traffic hazard. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront47 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse95 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit60 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed30 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque40 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh56 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer30 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone37 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019