Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 39 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 32 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 16 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 24 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 29 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 21 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 24 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 26 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 19 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 28 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 24 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,759,425 times

Random files
Glen_Fruin_cattle.jpg
Glen Fruin668 viewsCattle in Glen Fruin, looking west from near the Black Bridge. Image pre-1945, but date unknown.
Hermitage_Park_south_entrance.jpg
Hermitage Park entrance916 viewsThe most recent entrance to Hermitage Park — from Sinclair Street — shortly after it was created. In the distance is Hermitage Primary School. Image by courtesy of Helensburgh Library; date unknown.
Colour-TV-in-1928.jpg
Colour TV653 viewsColour TV in 1928. Major A.G.Church is on the right of the picture, with John Logie Baird beside the receiver.
Dunmore-and-Pier-Road-w.jpg
Pier Road, Rhu692 viewsAn old image of the junction of the seafront road and Pier Road, Rhu, with the pier house opposite. The mansion was Dunmore House, which was eventually demolished and replaced by two matching modern houses. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
SRN6-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Hover travel679 viewsThe Clyde Hover Ferries Westland SRN6 hovercraft, which operated a service from Craigendoran pier to Greenock from 1965-6 is pictured arriving at Craigendoran pier. Powered by a Bristol-Siddeley Marine Gnome engine, it was 48 foot long, could carry 48 passengers, and had a maximum speed over calm water of 64 knots. However the service attracted fewer passengers than hoped for, and did not prove viable. Image supplied by Robert Whitton.
Cove_Burgh_Hall309.jpg
Cove Burgh Hall610 viewsOriginally described as Kilcreggan Public Buildings, Cove Burgh Hall sits on the boundary between Cove and Kilcreggan. In recent years it has been very successfully run by a local committee who acquired it from the local authority for a nominal sum. Image circa 1905.
Annie-Baird5081.jpg
Annie Baird662 viewsMiss Annie Baird, then 83, sister of John Logie Baird and daughter of the Rev John Baird, is greeted by the Rev Robert S.Cairns who invited her to cut the cake at the St Bride's Church Centenary Supper in the Victoria Hall in 1967. In the background is Mrs Arthur Wylie, one of the organisers of the event.
Outdoor_pool~0.jpg
Outdoor pool816 viewsBuilt in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the Helensburgh outdoor swimming pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit12 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed7 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque24 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh27 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer11 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone13 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above11 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019