Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 16 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 24 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 14 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 20 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 22 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 20 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 23 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,758,920 times

Random files
Bell-relatives-w.jpg
Descendants in 1912571 viewsDescendants of Henry Bell with the Lord Provost of Glasgow (centre) on a Clyde steamboat during the 1912 centenary celebrations. From left: Mr Findlay, grand-nephew; Henry Bell Lowe, great-grand nephew; Peter Bell Baird, grand nephew; Provost Stevenson; Henry Bell Lowe Snr., grand-nephew; Peter Bell Lowe, great-grand nephew; Bailie Irwin, Port Glasgow. Image supplied by Doris Gentles.
Rhu-Pipe-Band10.jpg
Rhu Pipe Band952 viewsMembers of Rhu (Row) Pipe Band, circa 1905. It is believed that the band folded in 1910 at about the time Helensburgh Pipe Band was formed, and more information would be welcomed. Please email the editor, using the Contact Us facility on the Trust website home page. Image supplied by Campbell Neill, whose uncles Claude and John are in the picture.
Lady_Helen_Colquhoun.jpg
Lady Helen Colquhoun956 viewsWife of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, who founded Helensburgh in 1777 and named it after her. It is not known which artist painted her portrait, of which this is a mono copy. She was the daughter of William, Lord Strathnaver, son and heir apparent of John, 19th Earl of Sutherland.
Ardenconnel_House_group.jpg
Methodist holiday584 viewsA group of Methodists of all ages on holiday at Ardenconnel House in Rhu in the mid-1930s. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Lucy_Ashton,_Jeanie_Deans.jpg
Popular paddlers800 viewsA 1948 view of two of the most popular steamers at their base at Craigendoran Pier, the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans.
Craigendoran-Swim102.jpg
Pier to pier swim1356 viewsEntrants in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier race run by Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club are pictured on Craigendoran pier before the start. The winners were Jacqueline Craig (2nd from right) and Ken Mercer (right). Image circa 1965.
Ivor-McIvor-on-motorbike-w.jpg
Trying motorbike673 viewsMembers of 162 Battery (Helensburgh), 54 Regiment Light Anti-aircraft, Royal Artillery, Territorial Army, try out a motorbike in the late 1930s, venue unknown. On the bike is Ivor McIvor. Image, date unknown, supplied by Ivor's son, Colin McIvor of Largs.
Hermitage-collecting-w.jpg
Hermitage collection788 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse5 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit3 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed4 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque21 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh25 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer8 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone10 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above8 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019