Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 35 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,267 times

Random files
Deborah_Kerr-The_Arrangement.jpg
Deborah Kerr in 'The Arrangement'669 viewsHelensburgh-born star of film and theatre Deborah Kerr is seen in an emotional scene from the 1969 film 'The Arrangement', based on the best-selling novel by Elia Kazan. She portrayed the unhappy wife of an advertising executive who had left her for another woman, co-starring with Kirk Douglas and Faye Dunaway.
Robert_Bain_memorial.jpg
Robert Bain memorial562 viewsThe large iron memorial in Rhu Churchyard erected by Comet steamship pioneer Henry Bell to Robert Bain, the skipper most famously associated with the Comet, following his death in 1829 at the age of 39. He spent 16 years of his life working for Bell, Helensburgh's first Provost, and also served as deputy town clerk. He took over command of the Comet in 1812. The tombstone was made at Shotts Iron Works. Image taken and supplied by Ann Stewart.
cairndhu_08.jpg
Cairndhu carving1008 viewsA carving above a window at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
Craigendoran-Upper11.jpg
Craigendoran Upper Station1410 viewsCraigendoran Upper Station, the start of the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Like all the local upper stations, except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Kinnear_Private_Hotel.jpg
Kinnear House467 viewsThis building at the corner of Charlotte Street and Victoria Road in Helensburgh has had several uses over the years. At the time the picture was taken it was Kinnear Private Hotel, but it was also the first St Bride's School and in World War Two was used to billet officers working at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, RAF Helensburgh. Today it is divided into two private dwellings. Image date unknown.

Burgh_engine1.jpg
Burgh Engine1187 viewsThis Gresley designed 2-6-2T V1 engine, 67603, which weighed 84 tons, is pictured at the Helensburgh Central Station Shed in 1958. This class was introduced in 1930.
1924_Imperial_Hotel.jpg
1924 West Clyde Street974 viewsAn image of West Clyde Street, with the Imperial Hotel on the right. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Steam_Laundry_staff.jpg
Steam Laundry staff788 viewsThis 1920s picture shows the staff of Helensburgh Steam Laundry in East King Street. Back row:Harry Harper, Mary Muir, Jess Muir, Stella Thomson. Front row: J.Blaney, - , Peter Graham. Third from right: Johnny Waddell, uncle of Muir sisters. John Muir, bought the laundry around 1923. Please email any other names to the Trust website editor. Image supplied by Jim Graham, www.graham-clan.co.uk

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse45 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit39 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above12 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019