Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro2317 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House2307 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
Rhu-dance-class.jpg
Country dance class2307 viewsMembers of a country dance class run in Rhu Village Hall by nursery gardener Alec Parlane. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1955.
Knockderry-Castle127.jpg
Knockderry Castle2296 viewsA view of Knockderry Castle at Cove, published by MacFarlane Brothers of Cove, circa 1908. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
St_Bride_s_School.jpg
St Bride's School2283 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1911.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House2271 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
1948-Hermitage-Xmas5453.jpg
1948 Hermitage Christmas Dance2271 viewsSenior pupils of Hermitage School at their Christmas Dance in 1948. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
St_Joseph_s_pupils_1958.jpg
St Joseph's Primary 2 and 3, circa 19582271 viewsBack:Christine Cavana, John McCann, Manya Masikevic (?), Peter Cannon, Muriel Cole, Simon Cavana, Kathleen Skea, Evelyn Roach, Tony Graham, Catherine Gallagher, Tommy MacLaughlan, Elizabeth McFarlane, Manus McClafferty; middle: John Harvey, Ian Donnachie, Sally Campbell, Kay Campbell, Anne Savage, Isabel Kiernan, Quentin Hefferman, Mary McClafferty, Charlie Booth, Jessie Grant, Ian Donnachie, Andrew McKenzie, Patricia Evans, Jeanette Sharkey; front: Michael McGinley, Mary Brabender, Hugh O’Brien, Linda McQueen, John ?, Betty McAndrew, Terence Neil, Graham McKenzie, Ian Mundie, Maisie McCallum, John McLelland, Maureen Reilly, James Brabender, Marion McGunigal, Peter Barnes. Image supplied by the daughter of the late Manus McLafferty, who later became a boat painter at McGruer's Yard at Clynder; names supplied by Patricia Willis (nee Evans).
DSCI0006.jpg
Malig Mill inscription with dates2267 viewsThese have been placed on one wall. According to one written source the original mill was rebuilt. The dates may or may not support this.
Ardenconnel_House2211.jpg
Ardenconnel House2264 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image circa 1905.
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2263 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
Old_swimming_pool0898.jpg
Outdoor Pond2259 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor swimming pool with buses parked outside and West Clyde Street beyond. Date unknown.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 6