Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Outdoor-pool.jpg
Outdoor pool1872 viewsA busy day at Helensburgh's outdoor swimming pool beside the pier. This photo, from a family album, was supplied by Donald Watson. Image date unknown.
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths1864 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School1856 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1853 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street1852 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress1852 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
Sinclair-Street049_18-02-17.jpg
Sinclair Street shops1849 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1845 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
Mystery_Rhu_group.jpg
Mystery Rhu group1827 viewsThis image supplied by Alistair Quinlan show a Rhu group, possibly a church outing, circa 1910. Back row third right is his grandfather, William Lyon Winton, and sprawling on the grass front left is his brother, Arthur Burnett Winton. Their brother, Sidney Walker Winton, who was between them in age is probably wearing the white shirt, to the right of the cornet (5th right front). Any more information would be welcome.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1823 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
pool_1930s18.jpg
Taking the plunge1808 viewsFour young swimmers jump into the Helensburgh outdoor pool in the 1930s.
Larchfield-2-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581803 viewsThe second part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958, including headmaster Steven Hutchison. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
2179 files on 182 page(s) 12