Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Larchfield-1-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581969 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
Hermitage-stones-w.jpg
Hermitage carvings1964 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
1928-Camis-Eskan-engraving1.jpg
Camis Eskan1960 viewsA 1928 engraving by J.Westley of a drawing by J.R.Neale of Camis Eskan House.
Inverclyde,_Cove.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1928 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Cairndhu_Hotel.jpg
Cairndhu1928 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
Glenmallon-2.jpg
Glenmallon School1922 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1921 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Comet-model-2-w.jpg
Model in 20021915 viewsA model of Henry Bell's Comet on display at the Bell Exhibition at Helensburgh Library organised by Doris Gentles as part of the burgh's bicentenary celebrations in 2002.
Rosneath_Castle29711.jpg
Rosneath Castle1908 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1905.
The_Lucy_Ashton_URTV.jpg
Lucy Ashton1908 viewsThe little steamer Lucy Ashton, named after the famous and much loved paddle steamer, set off on the morning of Saturday August 4 2012 to greet the paddle steamer Waverley at Helensburgh pier as part of the bicentenary celebrations. Unfortunately, on the way back to Rhu Marina for the afternoon procession, a gasket in the engine blew, and the vessel's participation was ended. Photo by URTV Helensburgh.tv.
Rhu-Amateurs-19664108.jpg
Rhu Amateurs1887 viewsThe Rhu Amateurs team and officials Ian McKay, Donny Thomson and Richard Don in August 1966. Captain Finlay Colquhoun is front row centre, with Joe McKell on his right. The back row includes Alistair Glendye, Billy Goodall, keeper Finlay MacDonald, and Jim Shields.
Loch_Lomond_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Loch Lomond Youth Hostel1887 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
2178 files on 182 page(s) 11