Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair2024 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School2019 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
Rhu_Amateurs196721.jpg
Scotland's Champions2015 viewsThe famous Rhu Amateurs team which won the Scottish Amateur Cup on May 13 1967, beating Penilee United 3-1 in the final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. The scorers were Barry Irvine, then Neil Walsh with two. Team: Finlay MacDonald; Alistair Glendye, Arthur Thomson; Paul Robertson, Finlay Colquhoun (capt), Neil Walsh; Barry Irvine, Jim Shields, Joe McKell, Billy Mooney, Johnny Armstrong. 12th man: Jim Aitken.
1972-Rhu-Amateurs019.jpg
Rhu Amateurs 19722008 viewsThis picture of the Rhu Amateurs 1967 Scottish Amateur Cup-winning team was taken at New Year 1972, when they lined up against a Rhu Select at Ardenconnel Park. Standing: Billy Goodall, Alistair Glendye, unknown, Finlay MacDonald, Jim Shields, Finlay Colquhoun, unknown; front: unknown, Joe McKell, unknown, unknown, unknown.
Rosneath_Castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle2005 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1993 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
William-Kidston-w.jpg
William Kidston1992 viewsHelensburgh benefector William Kidston, who lived in the seafront Ferniegair, is seen in this photograph of a portrait presented to him on December 5 1877 “by the Inhabitants of Helensburgh and Neighbourhood, in testimony of his indefatigable efforts in promoting the prosperity and protecting the interests of the locality”. The story of the Kidston family can be found in the People section of the main website.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House1989 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
67_NY_Swim1441.jpg
1967 New Year Swim1985 viewsChilly swimmers on Helensburgh pier before the start of the 1967 Ne'erday Swim. The girls are (from left) Morag Mackie, Margaret Shields, Sandy MacRitchie holding the puppy, Cynthia Mackie, Alison McLuskie, Christine Ferguson, Catherine Rennie and Irene McGhie. It is thought the boy on the right is Arthur Lawson, but the other boy's name is not known.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay1985 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Clyde_Street_Primary_c_1964.jpg
Clyde Street School 1972 viewsA Clyde Street Primary School class, circa 1964. Back row: Ronald Park, Kenneth Glendye, Jim Urquhart, Duncan Campbell, William Bell, Neil Harper, Edward McKell, John Spy, ?; middle: Susan Taylor, Jacqueline Craig, Helen McWilliams, Mary Ross, Lesley ?, Lesley Coll, Fiona Grant, Elspeth Robertson, Kathleen Hamilton; front sitting: Royston Pearce, ?, Janet Shields, ?, Terry ?, ?, Catherine ?, Elizabeth Stewart, Billy McKechnie; on floor: ?, Simon Fraser, ?, George Beggs. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Larchfield-1-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581963 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 10