Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Hermitage-5-06_085.jpg
Academy opening2159 viewsProvost William Petrie OBE JP DL of Argyll and Bute Council, a former pupil who met his wife Jean at the original Hermitage School, officially opens the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008, watched by headmaster Geoff Urie.
1948-Hermitage-Form-V5432.jpg
Form Five, Hermitage School, 19482138 viewsThe fifth form pupils at Hermitage School in June 1948. Boys: John Gorrie, Donald Ross, Archie MacPherson, Robin Wright, Leo Capaldi, Ian Cowie, Ian Bulloch, Jack Revie. Girls: Cecilia Renwick, Jessie Ronald, Elspeth McArhur, teacher Miss Mosen, Eleanor Williamson, June James, Jenny Burgess. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Hermitage-9-06_087.jpg
Academy opening2102 viewsAmerican guest Dr John Jackson speaks at the opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. He said a few words of greeting on behalf of the school's international links.
Knockderry-Castle5062.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2095 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1970.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School2093 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
Piers_Swim0754.jpg
Piers Swim2092 viewsSome of the Helensburgh Swimming Club members who took part in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier swim in August 1963. From left: Ken Mercer, Rod MacPhail, Elizabeth Soutar, Sandy MacRitchie, Colin McCallum. It was the first time Rod entered, and his time of 47 minutes on a calm night was the fastest he ever achieved. Ken Mercer, whose mother Edith taught hundreds of local children to swim, won it for the umpteenth time in 25-28 minutes.
15a-w.jpg
Hermitage 19582079 viewsForm 2A at Hermitage School in 1958. Top row: Jeremy Stewart, Douglas Anderson, Stephen Drake, Alan Jones, Jim Davis, Kenneth Jack, Richard Jones, Tom Dunn, Douglas Payne, Norman Brown, Christopher Mitchell; middle: Margaret Calderwood, Maisie Lamond, Kenneth Osborne, Ian McKay, Jim McArthur, Graham Craig, Brian McLaren, Duncan Walker, Douglas Sammon, Irene McLaren, Leo Watson, Marjorie McDonald; front: Moira Crawford, Susan Peel, Ann Bridge, Alison Hunt, Margaret Parlane, Form Teacher Mr Barr, Marlyn Whyte, Joyce Robertson, Joan Robertson, Jeannette Suffield, Margaret Beveridge. Image supplied by Marlyn Ritchie (nee Whyte).
Old_burgh_class.jpg
1920s burgh class2072 viewsA 1920s Helensburgh school class photographed by W.D.Brown & Co. of West Bay Studio, Helensburgh. Any information about the people in the picture would be welcomed.
Kilmahew-Castle1.jpg
Kilmahew Castle2068 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts.The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image date unknown.
Empress-Band-2~0.jpg
CTS Empress Band2068 viewsHarry Wadsworth, Bandmaster, late of the Coldstream Guards Band, with the band of the training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the loch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1910.
Young_swimmers09310.jpg
Top Junior Swimmers2063 viewsFive trophy winners at the Helensburgh Swimming Club prizegiving in the Red Cross Hall, East Princes Street, in October 1968. From left: Jacqueline Craig, Cynthia Mackie, Charlie Cook, Irene McGhie, and in front is Margaret Shields younger sister who collected her award for her.
Hermitage_Academy_Class_2A_1967-68.jpg
Hermitage Academy Class 2A 1967-82062 viewsBack row: Norman McIvor, Geoffrey Thompson, George Beggs, Andrew McNeill, Stanley Sowinsky, Jamie Hulme, Scott Paige, Robert Prescott, George Cusker, Richard Makeham, Alan Oldfield; middle: David Harris, Stephen Richards, Ian Doig, Sharon Temple, Sheena Smith, Elizabeth Truscott, Noelle Odling, Lynne Price, Laura Johnstone, Duncan Campbell, Robbie McLean, John Burnhill; front: Sandra Werry, Fiona Bryce, Susan Cogger, Heather Mennie, Marion Hancox, Susan Taylor, Mary Ross, Rosalind Mulligan, Anne Munn, Lorna Will, Alison McLuskie. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
2120 files on 177 page(s) 8