Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
DSCI0006.jpg
Malig Mill inscription with dates2296 viewsThese have been placed on one wall. According to one written source the original mill was rebuilt. The dates may or may not support this.
15a-w.jpg
Hermitage 19582284 viewsForm 2A at Hermitage School in 1958. Top row: Jeremy Stewart, Douglas Anderson, Stephen Drake, Alan Jones, Jim Davis, Kenneth Jack, Richard Jones, Tom Dunn, Douglas Payne, Norman Brown, Christopher Mitchell; middle: Margaret Calderwood, Maisie Lamond, Kenneth Osborne, Ian McKay, Jim McArthur, Graham Craig, Brian McLaren, Duncan Walker, Douglas Sammon, Irene McLaren, Leo Watson, Marjorie McDonald; front: Moira Crawford, Susan Peel, Ann Bridge, Alison Hunt, Margaret Parlane, Form Teacher Mr Barr, Marlyn Whyte, Joyce Robertson, Joan Robertson, Jeannette Suffield, Margaret Beveridge. Image supplied by Marlyn Ritchie (nee Whyte).
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House2282 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
1901-pierhead~3.jpg
View from pier 19012276 viewsThis view from the pierhead looking up Colquhoun Street was taken in 1901, but it is not known why a large crowd had gathered and what they were looking at. The shops are Robert Brown's wines and spirits and Lachlan McLachlan's very popular bakery. In 1929 the building which housed the two shops was demolished to allow the National Bank of Scotland to be built, and Lachlan McLachlan moved his business to Garelochhead where he worked until his death in 1951. Image supplied by Pat Drayton.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19102272 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress2270 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Rosneath_School19412.jpg
Rosneath School2267 viewsRosneath School at the Clachan, when the uniform was rather different from today. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition2265 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
Coronation1953.jpg
Coronation tree planting2263 viewsAlex Douglas, headmaster of Clyde Street School, teacher Miss Laing, and some of their pupils plant a tree outside 27 East Montrose Street, Helensburgh, to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth on June 2 1953. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, now of Ontario, Canada, who is the boy holding the shovel, and taken by Alexandria press photographer Peter Leddy.
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House2262 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross2257 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House2256 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
2179 files on 182 page(s) 7