Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
knockderrycastle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2470 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1912.
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress2467 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Notre-Dame-pupils5.jpg
Local Notre Dame pupils2461 viewsFive girls from the Helensburgh area, aged 14 or 15, who attended the then Notre Dame High School in Dumbarton around 1950. They are the late Betty Mundie with Margaret Huxtable at the back, and in front Gwen King, who supplied the image, Helen Healey and Irene Cullinan, all from Helensburgh except Margaret who lived in Arrochar.
ClydeSt1951.jpg
Clyde Street School 19512449 viewsA picture of a class at Helensburgh's Clyde Street School. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, Ontario, Canada, who is in the front row, second from the right. The boy on his right is Joe McKell, who went on to become a well known local footballer. The teacher was Miss Laing. Alex would welcome any further information.
1943-Hermitage-girls.jpg
Hermitage School girls 1943-42413 viewsWartime class. Back: Kathleen and Margaret Morrison, Grace Ewing, Betty Cornish, Alison Grant, Chrissie McKinley, Mary Gall; third: Elsie Arnott, Catriona Cockburn, Marjory McKay, Jessie Ronald, Jean Spy, Betty McKay, Denise McGuire, Fiona McAlpine; second: two Belgian refugees, Una Barr, Sheila Cameron, Barbara Stanton, Nance McCaw, Marie ?, Sylvia Jane and Margaret McDonald; front: Sheila Cowan, Cathie Hine, Norma Anton, Fiona McKellar, Lillian Robertson, Frances Marshall, ? McGruer, Adaline Stevenson.
Queens_Hotel0184.jpg
The Queen's Hotel2412 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. In front of the front door is the Volvo estate car used for many years by the last manager, Norman Drummond. Image date unknown.
HelensburghFC.jpg
Helensburgh Football Club circa 19252403 viewsSitting on the far right, centre row, is the 1890s ex-Rangers and Scotland goalkeeper Matt Dickie.
Hermitage_Secondary_1B_1956.jpg
Hermitage Secondary 1B 19562403 viewsBack row: Colin McCallum, X, Ian McAulay, X, Jim Jack, X, X, David Galloway, X, Alastair McIntyre, X; 2nd back row: Irene McLaren, X, X, Helen Murdoch, X, X, Janet Fagan, Jean Crook, X, X; 2nd front row: X, X, Lindsay Malan,X, X, X, X, X, X; front row: Jim Graham, Andrew Watt, X, Robert Cameron. Image supplied by Jim Graham. More names would be welcomed.
earlybaths.jpg
The Swimming Pool2402 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool. Undated, possible the 1960s.
Glen_Fruin_school2.jpg
Pupils of Glen Fruin School circa 1910-122398 viewsThree of the pupils are James, Graham, and Robert Douglas Thorburn. The picture was taken by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn.
Image1-118.jpg
Rosneath Castle2384 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
Lansdowne20.jpg
Lansdowne House2380 viewsOriginally privately-owned, the mansion on Victoria Road became a St Bride's and then Lomond School boarding house. It is now demolished, and its grounds will be the site of a housing development. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
2179 files on 182 page(s) 5